Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Last light

• Brendan.Z
  • Topic Author

Brendan.Z created the topic: Last light

Hi there,

I have a question about last light. I looked into the AIP (ENR 1.2 para 1.1.2 b) and TOPIC 6(page 6.5 Planning for the end of daylight) of your PERFORMANCE BOOK, they both indicate that as long as I fly over the field on my arrival at 10 minutes before EOD, it will be fine, the 10 minutes provides time for me to fly a circuit and land before EOD. However, My instructor told me that I should land (on the ground) at my destination by 10 minutes before the last light. And the answer for BOB TAIT CYBEREXAMS also shows I should be on the ground by 10 minutes before the last light. I am really confused now. Could please tell me which one is right?
[attachment:1]WP_20160521_15_04_29_Pro.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Last light

My understanding has always been to arrive overhead since the AIP states:

"must not ... depart from an aerodrome unless the ETA for the destination (or alternate) is at least 10 minutes before last light allowing for any required holding."

Your ETA is when you would arrive overhead, not when you need to be on the ground. However, some schools often have rules in their ops manual for students and hirers. One I've seen is all VFR ETA's must be 30 minutes before last light, not 10 minutes. Therefore, your instructor may be advising you on the procedures expected from your school and you must adhere to those when you fly there.

For the purposes of the exam though, ETA (overhead) 10 minutes before last light is what you should use. I shall take a look at that question in the cyberexams to make sure it agrees with that statement.

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Last light

Hi Brendan,

I am having difficulty finding the question you referred to above. The last light questions I have found seem to agree with my statement above. Could you PM a copy/paste of some fo the question text you feel was confusing so I can take a look? You can send a PM to me by clicking the little voice balloon icon under my forum picture on the left.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds