Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Question query from Bob Tait online practice exam

• mayanksingh78@gmail.com
  • Topic Author

mayanksingh78@gmail.com created the topic: Question query from Bob Tait online practice exam

Hi Bob/ Richard/ Anyone else with awesome Law interpretation skills!!!,
Just wanted to check on one of the questions that popped up on the online practice exams that seems a bit ambiguous.
Please read the question below.

An aircraft which is not able to be refueled with an underwing refueling system is being refueled. Select the statement which describes one of the conditions under which a non-ambulatory passenger is permitted to remain on board -
Select one:
When refueling with any type of fuel
When the aircraft is being refueled with aviation turbine fuel with an antistatic additive.
When the aircraft is being refueled with fuel other than Avgas Incorrect
When the passenger's seat belt is kept fastened.
Feedback
If the aircraft does not have an underwing refueling system, the only passenger/s that can remain on board are those who who cannot leave without assistance.
CAO 20.9.4.2.4 (a) and 20.9.4.2.4 (d)

The fuel must not be AVGAS.
CAO 20.9.4.2.1

The fuel must be AVTUR with an antistatic additive.
CAO 20.9.4.2.2
The correct answer is: When the aircraft is being refueled with aviation turbine fuel with an antistatic additive.

As you can see the correct answer marked here that AC should be loaded with AVTUR.
However if you check CAO 20.9, 4.2.2, the opening line says "an Aircraft that HAS an underwing fueling system must not be refueled with POB unless fuel is AVTUR"
this leaves me a bit confused since the question clearly mentions this AC does NOT have an underwing fueling system which leads me to believe that only fuel that is not AVGAS should be loaded! as per 4.2.3
can someone please help??
Other than this I did get 95% in this practice exam!!
thanks

Mayank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Question query from Bob Tait online practice exam

Hi Mayank,

You can NEVER refuel with AVGAS while passengers are on board. If you are using AVTUR then you CAN refuel with passengers on board IF:
- if it is underwing refuelling and the conditions of 4.2.2 are met (i.e. aviation grade turbine fuel that contains anti-static additive or is loaded in the USA and meets the ASTM D 1655 standard etc)
OR
- if there is no underwing refuelling BUT you have non-ambulatory passenger (4.2.4) and all of the conditions for 4.2.2 are applied. That means you can refuel but only if using aviation grade turbine fuel that contains anti-static additive etc, no seatbelts fastened, doors open etc. No AVGAS would be permitted.

Another way to approach the question is to eliminate answers:

When refueling with any type of fuel - obviously wrong because it might be AVGAS

When the aircraft is being refueled with aviation turbine fuel with an antistatic additive - this is the correct answer.

When the aircraft is being refueled with fuel other than Avgas - incorrect since what if you were loading diesel fuel or turbine fuel without an additive?

When the passenger's seat belt is kept fastened. - also wrong since 4.2.2 states the seatbelts must be unfastened if you are refuelling with people on board.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Rich

• Topic Author

mayanksingh78@gmail.com replied the topic: Question query from Bob Tait online practice exam

Thanks Richard for getting back so quickly!
Bit loopy this one but I get your logic.
Ill keep that in mind if something similar pops up in my exam which is in 2 days!!
thanks once again
Cheers
Mayank

• Topic Author

mayanksingh78@gmail.com replied the topic: Question query from Bob Tait online practice exam

Hi Richard,
Just wanted to let you know that I passed my Air Law exam in first attempt with 98% marks!! Pretty happy!
There were some easy questions but there were some really twisted ones as well! If anyone is interested I can list some that I found curious!
But thanks to Bob Tait forums and your practice exams, I started looking at broader strategy(including understanding questions properly before attempting) to attempt this exam instead of fretting about everything.
In the end I am happy that it all worked out and more so since English is not my first language! :) :)
thanks once again!
Cheers
Mayank

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Question query from Bob Tait online practice exam

Well done Mayank - that is an amazing result! Great news and I'm glad we could all help you out :)
Happy flying!
Cheers,
Rich

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds