Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Maintenance Release Authority Question

• Josh.haliday
  • Topic Author

Josh.haliday created the topic: Maintenance Release Authority Question

Good Morning Everyone,

I have just sat Airlaw and failed by 2%. Its annoying but from my KDR's I know where I went wrong, all except one Question.

The question was

What is the minimum Qualification Level required to sign off an aircraft's Maintenance release?

a) Student Pilots Licence
b) Recreational Pilots Licence
c) Private Pilots Licence
d) Commercial Pilots Licence

Now I was completely stumped. seeing as I was unable to find the reference in the AIP/CARs for this even in the maintenance section. So I tried to logic it out and this is what I went with.

When I was training for my PPL I didnt have a PPL, CPL or RPL and I was able to sign the maintenance releases, and although under Part61 the SPL is not really issued I assumed it was that and selected it. obviously it appears I was wrong.

does anyone know a) what the answer is and b) what the reference is?

Your help is appreciated.

Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Maintenance Release Authority Question

Hi Josh,

The answer should be (b) since the maintenance release sign-off after a daily inspection is a schedule 8 maintenance task which can be signed off by a pilot (except a student pilot). Since an RPL is actually a licenced pilot nowadays, the RPL pilot can sign the maintenance release.

References of use are: CAR 42ZC, CAR Schedule 8, CAAP 43-1 and CAAP 42ZC.

As a student pilot during your training, you should definitely NOT have been signing the MR for the aircraft after a daily inspection. In fact a student pilot is technically not allowed to perform a daily inspection unaccompanied either.

Here's a quick reference page put together as part of CASA's excellent "Out'n Back" series: services.casa.gov.au/outnback/#/outnback/episode1).

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds