Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Minimum height over a prison?

• Mister W
  • Topic Author

Mister W created the topic: Minimum height over a prison?

Hi all,
Usually I could find the answers reasonably quickly but this has me stumped.
I was talking to a guy at work the other day about flying. He was telling me about a flight he did on a microlight with an instructor. Being a Prison officer, he was interested in seeing one of the prisons he works at from the air as it's in close proximity to the airfield (opposite side of the highway actually).

The instructor told him that he would have to climb to 2500'agl and that it was the legal minimum for all aircraft to flying over a prison.

In my 20 years flying, 15 as an instructor and 10 years in the region, I have never heard of that limit before. Not even at a local level as the prison was in our local training area.
I told him that Barwon Prison is a VFR approach point for Avalon and aircraft regularly transit directly over the top at 1500'.

My question is;
Has such a limit been imposed in the last 4 years that I am unaware of?

Regards,

Mister W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Minimum height over a prison?

Gidday Mister W

I must admit I have never heard of it either. Maybe it's some local rule that the instructor can shed some light on.

Bob

• Mister W
  • Topic Author

Mister W replied the topic: Minimum height over a prison?

Thanks Bob,
I 'll pop in there one day and ask him. If anything, he is demonstrating good airmanship by giving himself enough height to glide clear of the facility should the engine quit.
I worked at this particular prison for a while and I can't remember anything we imposed.

Cheers,
Mister W.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds