Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Circuit Direction with no ERSA entry

• scanwinder
  • Topic Author

scanwinder created the topic: Circuit Direction with no ERSA entry

Hi,

I'm now onto air law (only air law and human factors left).

Question 14 in the book says that left hand circuits must normally be made, and right hand circuit requirements are listed in the ERSA.

My question is, what if there is no ERSA entry for the aerodrome? Say for example, aerodromes that are publicly accessible and listed in the Country Airstrip Guide but not in the ERSA(which should be unregistered and uncertified i think?)? I can't recall if I have come across any in the country airstrip guide saying right hand circuits that don't appear in the ERSA - but is this something that is possible? - or is it a case of if there is no ERSA entry it must be a left hand circuit?

I notice in AIP ENR 1.1 para 48.4, it says "An aircraft approaching a non-controlled aerodrome for landing must make all turns to the left except (a) where right hand circuits are specified for the aerodrome". I can't find anything that says what document the circuit direction has to be specified by.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Circuit Direction with no ERSA entry

Hi scanwinder,

By default, it will always be left hand circuits. It is of course possible that the owner/operator of an unlisted strip wants RH circuits but that would have to be mentioned somewhere (webpage, Country Airstrip guide etc).

Since part of your pre-flight preparation involves gathering as much information about your destination as is required for safe-flight, if you were planning to visit a strip not listed in the ERSA, it wouldn't be too much to expect the pilot to check the AOPA / Country Airstrip guide or better still, simply ring the owner for more info on special requirements.

So, bottom line, LH circuits unless you're told otherwise :)

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds