Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CPL air law questions i don't understand?

• ggriffiths96
  • Topic Author

ggriffiths96 created the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

So i sat my CPL air law test today and sadly got 75% after finishing saying to myself "yep, high 80's for sure, i just know it!"
Wrong. :(
Even after doing numerous practice questions and getting high 90's for all of them! Oh well, i felt i couldn't have been more prepared and where i got tripped up on was comprehending the question (and maybe going in with a little bit of a big head). I went over my KDR's with my instructors but still have a few questions i'd love to have clarified:

*(i've tried to word them as they were, but we all know thats nearly impossible)

1. You are turning onto base at a non-controlled aerodrome while a preceding aircraft is established on final approach further away from the aerodrome and at a higher altitude. You may continue your approach:
(a) only if you broadcast your position so you can be sequenced to land first
(b) as the other aircraft must give way
(c) as long as you increase speed to get in front (not sure how this was worded)
(d) as long as you slow down to allow the preceding aircraft to land

I selected B as i was under the assumption that the preceding aircraft was doing a straight-in approach and the regs say straight in approached are prohibited at non-controlled aerodromes. (A) makes no sense i mean, who is going to sequence you at a non controlled aerodrome. I'm assuming the answer is (D)? :huh:

2. Two aircraft are on converging headings at the same altitude. The responsibility to avoid collision lies upon:
(a) The aircraft which has the other on it's right
(b) The aircraft which has the other on its left
(c) The smaller aircraft
(d) Both pilots
I selected (A) and I'm really not quite sure why i got this wrong. The only other answer I can think that might be correct is (D)?

3. If an aerodrome was completely unserviceable you would find a single white cross in the signal circle at:
(a) any aerodrome regardless of ATC coverage
(b) an aerodrome without ATC coverage
(c) an aerodrome which does not have 24hr ATC coverage
(d) and aerodrome with ATC coverage during the day
I selected A, clearly not knowing the JEPPS ATC reference AU-307 which clearly states the answer is C haha silly gen :blink: .
key words: signal circle

4. In any case, a turn onto final shall be complete by:
(a) not less than 500m from the aerodrome perimeter
(b) not less that 500ft AGL
*i cant remember the other two
I selected B because thats what it says in the JEPPS, but when i was doing all the practice exams it said (A)?

5. You have a CPL and work for a mining* company (*not sure the company sorry) which owns a light aircraft of a 6 seat capacity. They have a requirement to transport its employees to and from however the company advertises to the public tickets for any spare seats.
The minimum operation the flights above can be classified as is:
(a) PVT
(b) AWK
(c) RPT
(d) CHTR
I think i selected (D) Charter, because of the tickets for spare seats. Im not too sure about this one..

6. You are cruising at FL065 and ATC instructs you to descend to FL040. Your report or reports - if any - shall be:
(a) "left FL065", and then "maintaining FL040"
(b)"maintaing FL040"
(c) "left FL065", and then "approaching FL040"
(d) (cannot remember this one at all - lets hope it wasnt the right one oop)

I was tossing up between B and C for ages and now i cant even remember which one i ended up choosing. help?

Hope you can help! And if you haven't sat your exam yet, i hope this helps :)

Also, apologies for the mega long message...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

1. The aircraft on final has right of way. It seems there was no mention that the aircraft on final was doing a straight-in approach. If that was the case, the aircraft on a straight-in approach must give way. CAR 162 (5)

2. The aircraft that has the other on its right must give way, BUT, the responsibility to avoid a collision rests with each pilot. CAR 162 (2)

3. A cross in the signal square indicates total unserviceability at an aerodrome that does not have 24 hour ATC coverage AIP AD 1.1 para 3.3.2

4. I don't know which practice exams you were referring to but the requirement to be on final 500 meters from the runway threshold was changed some years ago. It is now to be on final by 500 feet AGL. As far as I know, that has been changed in all of our publications. AIP ENR 1.1 para 48.5.6

5. If seats have been advertised for sale to the general public, that would certainly make it a CHTR. CAR 2 (7) (d) and CAR 206

6. You must read back the assigned level and report leaving your present level. AIP ENR 1.7 para 4.1.6 (By the way, there is no such level as FL065 or FL040. In Australia below 10,000 feet, we work on altitudes. So your report would be 'left six thousand five hundred').

• ggriffiths96
  • Topic Author

ggriffiths96 replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

4. They were actually some of your old exams Bob, must have been outdated because i know JEPPS now says by 500ft.

6. Would you also need to report "approaching four thousand"? or are you only required to report leaving your present level. The readback is a given.

Thanks heaps Bob!

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

There is no need to report again at any other level unless you were asked to. For example ATC might say "descend to four thousand, report leaving five thousand". You will find that in the same reference at AIP ENR 1.7

• adambernhardt

adambernhardt replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

Has also answered some of mine too...thanks Bob. These forums are a blessing!

• dennis82

dennis82 replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

thanks for sharing . this is really help

• Sahil.vohra

Sahil.vohra replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

Hi Bob ,

I am really not clear with 5th question explanation .

As one of the online sample test explanations states that you can operate fixed schedules as long as the accommodation in the aircrafts in the aircrafts is not available for persons generally. In other words , you cannot offer scheduled flights to the general public but you can operate scheduled flights for a particular customer suhc as mining company , where there employees , but not the general public , are being carried .

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

As long as you don't sell tickets to the general public it's not a Charter Flight

Attachments:

• Sahil.vohra

Sahil.vohra replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

Thank you so much for your reply Stuart .

My question is that operations which is showing advertisements to general public can be classified as chartered or not ?
If no than what will be the best answer for 5th question .

In one of the explanation of answers within online test papers states that for charter operations
“you can operate fixed schedules as long as the accommodation in the aircrafts is not available for persons generally. In other words , you cannot offer scheduled flights to the general public but you can operate scheduled flights for a particular customer such as mining company , where there employees , but not the general public , are being carried.”

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: CPL air law questions i don't understand?

If you're selling tickets to the general public then it is a Charter so the answer is (d)

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds