Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CPL Law Question Help Needed

• Topic Author

430161 created the topic: CPL Law Question Help Needed

Hi, I'm a first time user of this forum after solo study of 5 CPL exams under my belt with 90% plus results thanks to Bobs books and practice exams; only Law and Human Factors to go.

Im having trouble with the answer for the below Question given as [d],

Page 2.28 Question No 1. Airspace Classification and Procedures.
Select the class of controlled airspace in which VFR aircraft may operate without an airways clearance:
(a) Class A
(b) Class B
(c) Class C
(d) Class D

All I can find are the references below which dont support the answer given.
1. "Class D CTRs have defined lateral and verticlal boundaries and extend from ground level to a specified vertical limit [usually, but not always, 4500 feet]. All aircraft operating within Class D CTRs must obtain airways clearance before entering and must comply with the terms of the clearance." (Bob Tait, CPL Law, pg 2.24, para 5)
2. "Class D, AIP, ENR 1.4 - 10, 4. Classes of Airspace - Sevices and Requirements, "Is Subject to ATC Clearance"

And if I quote the ERSA using Archerfield and Moorabbin as an example Class D becomes Class G outside normal Tower hours.
ATS Space: Archerfield/Moorabbin TWR provides ATS within Class D airspace SFC to 1500FT(YBAF) 2500FT(YMMB) during TWR HRS, Outside TWR HRS airspace becomes Class G airspace and CTAF procedures apply. This is the only situation where I think that you can enter without airways clearance. Yes it is the same physical space, "BUT" it seems contradictory to me because the airspace changes from D to G, that is, D is D and G is G they have two different requirements and the question asks "the Class of Controlled Space.

I'm happy to VFR navigate through G and E (monitoring frequency) without clearance but not D or C without clearance. I need to become a friend of John Travolta to get into Class A and I have yet to hear of Class B.

HELP MUCH APPRECIATED....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CPL Law Question Help Needed

It all depends on the definition of an Airways Clearance. When you enter or leave Class D airspace from Class G you don't really have to ask permission to enter by using the phrase 'request airways clearance'. You simply inform the tower of your intentions and they will acknowledge if they are happy with that.

I decided that this question was causing unnecessary confusion and the question has been changed. The correct answer has now been changed to Class E. There is no argument about that.

Good luck with your study.

• Topic Author

430161 replied the topic: CPL Law Question Help Needed

Thank you Bob,
Your books and practice exams have been of great assistance; this forum is well designed and gives me the class room contact I don't have. I appreciate your professional input and guidance.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds