Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CAR157, flying "near" a gathering, regatta etc

• StephenGale
  • Topic Author

StephenGale created the topic: CAR157, flying "near" a gathering, regatta etc

This is one I cant get a straight answer from CASA from.....

The local yacht club in St Kilda has asked me if I can fly my S211 for a few passes for the opening of their new marina. It is an invite only event (See what an S211 is below).

So, while I have done all of the stuff in preparation for a display request, I feel I dont need one.

I plan to fly entirely over water (so no built up area), >= 500 feet, non aerobatically (i.e. 3G max, no rolls etc ), and at less than 250kias. The main thing is I plan to stay at least 300m laterally away from the gathering, and obey all of the principles of safe display activities.

I am not flying above the crowd but will be in sight of them (again > 300m). I dont see anything that says what is "ABOVE' the gathering. I assume 10 feet laterally is still above, and 10nm is not. So where do we draw a reasonable line? 200m is the usual distance for displays provided you are not pointing the plane within about 15 degrees of the gathering, so I figured 300 feet would be ok.

Does this require special CASA permission? CASA have yet to respond after a couple of weeks and a few attempts to ask.

Thanks,
Steve
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• StephenGale
  • Topic Author

StephenGale replied the topic: CAR157, flying "near" a gathering, regatta etc

Sorry, this was really meant to be under "Air Law" (which I did quite well in, in fact!)

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CAR157, flying "near" a gathering, regatta etc

CAR 157 (3)

Seems to imply that any object within a 600m radius of the aircraft is deemed to be underneath it. Although I have done many airshow displays where the CASA approval has said no closer than 200m from spectators. I'd guess 600m would be a safe bet - but whose got the tape measure!
Attachments:

• StephenGale
  • Topic Author

StephenGale replied the topic: CAR157, flying "near" a gathering, regatta etc

Thankyou Bob,
I really appreciate the help!

So, I have two options - either amend my routine to be >600m away, or get written permission to go closer.

Easy!

Ill try for the permission, however I am not holding my breath....

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CAR157, flying "near" a gathering, regatta etc

I guess it all depends on whether you consider the yachts to be 'obstacles' or not.

• tmuza

tmuza replied the topic: CAR157, flying "near" a gathering, regatta etc

what the min conditions to get a rating with this aircraft??i have got some turbine knowledge, but would like to get some air experience....

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds