Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Pre Exam Questions

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa created the topic: Pre Exam Questions

Hi Guys,
Just a couple of questions before I sit Law tomorrow.

Duty Time :huh:

1) This extract has got me on 3.9 Bob Tait

When an a/c is scheduled to arrive and the pilot is planning to finish tour of duty before 10pm, if the plane is delayed up to 11pm the pilot may still start his 12 hr rest period at 11pm provided tomorrow the tour of duty isn't longer then 6 hours

So if the plane arrives at 10.30, pilot packs up and leaves and is relieved of all duties at 11pm. He can have 12 hours rest and cannot start the next T.O.D until 11am the next day (provided less than 6 hours). Basically what I am trying to get at is that the pilot is excused of resting 24 hours making him unavailable until 11pm.

2) When can't PAX be carried on flight?
The only references I can find are in the CAR saying no PAX during instructing if the student has no GFPT, practicing emergency procedures and testing a/c powerplant. What about low level ops (mustering and low level training?) any references that I could look at? Can you carry PAX if you are doing a low level endorsement if you have a GFPT? I'm assuming it is ok to carry PAX in mustering ops.

3) Dropping of items (especially heights)
I've been reading CAR 150, and CAO 29.5.4 onwards. I'm a little confused about CAO 29.6. What heights are we allowed to drop at? When do we need CASA's permission to go lower to drop items.

4) A.I.P ENR 1.4-1.2.4 - difference between 'all aircraft operations' and 'air transport operations'. Are the procedures different when reporting a IRM or RRM for the two categories?

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Pre Exam Questions

Hi Jack,

1) Yep, that's correct. You can start the required 12 hour rest period up to 11pm as long as your original intention was to finish by 10pm. Note this exemption only applies to the 12 hour rest (between 10pm and 6am ) you are entitled to under para 1.10.

2) Check out CAR 249:That would mean no passengers on low level training flights, no passengers in dropping ops (CAO 29.5 para 5.2). As for mustering ops, check out CAO 29.10 para 5.2 - no more than 1 passenger and only if they are essential to the mustering operation and not if the pilot is undergoing solo training.

3) This is a good one. Para 6 in CAO 29.5 gives you a general low flying permit but only if the dropping is associated with Search and Rescue training - see 6.1 (a). Otherwise, para 7 applies. That says unless you need to go lower for the drop AND it is an emergency, you cannot drop if lower than 1500 ft above a populous area. The inference therefore would be CAR 157 applies for drops over non-populous areas so you could not drop articles below 500ft above the terrain.

4) Air Transport operations are RPT and charter ops operations and the procedures for reporting are the same across all ops but what needs to be reported and what classifies as an IRM or RRM varies. The complete description and lists for the different operations is in AIP ENR1.14.

Cheers,

Rich

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa replied the topic: Pre Exam Questions

Thanks Richard, everything is crystal clear. Legend

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds