Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Airways Clearance Departing Class D

• Geoffo66
  • Topic Author

Geoffo66 created the topic: Airways Clearance Departing Class D

Hi All,

Could someone please help me out here or point me to a reference regarding Airways Clearance form Class D whether it is required or not.

Archefield for example it is not required unless transiting to Class C en-route to the Gold Coast...Sunshine Coast it is alwyas required.

I cannot find anything in the AIP that states Airways is not required from Class D but ENR 1.1-4 3.21.1 seems to state that it is. I also foune the following on the Airsevices web site.

"Class D: All aircraft must get an airways clearance and communicate with air traffic control. IFR aircraft are positively separated from other IFR aircraft and are provided with traffic information on all VFR aircraft. VFR aircraft are provided traffic information on all other aircraft."

One of the online question asks this question...and the given answer is "it is not required.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Airways Clearance Departing Class D

It really is a matter of using the phrase 'airways clearance'. In Class D, if you are departing the Class D CTR directly into Class G airspace, you only need to advise the tower of your intended tracking details [track and height] and they will let you know if that suits them. In other words you TELL him what you intend to do, you don't ASK him if you can do it.

You don't need to use the phrase 'request airways clearance' unless you are climbing into the overlying Class C airspace. See AIP ENR 1.1 para 5.1.3.

• Geoffo66
  • Topic Author

Geoffo66 replied the topic: Re: Airways Clearance Departing Class D

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the clarifaction...there always seems to that one little phrase tucked away elsewhere that makes all the difference. :)

Did the exam this morning and only missed three...so pretty happy.

Thanks for your help.

Geoff.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds