Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

In Search for KDR

• rustarhymez
  • Topic Author

rustarhymez created the topic: In Search for KDR

Hi Bob, all admins and everyone online.

I have just recently sat for the CPL Air Law exam and sadly, i failed at 70%. I am looking for a link to get my KDR and see what and where I have gone wrong. If someone could help me post a link here it would be absolutely great and much appreciated.

In all ambiguity, I remember 2 questions of which i had got wrong in the Examination ;

1) A passenger on an aircraft wants to carry on board his pet dog, if so where should the dog be place?
- there were 2 answers that i couldn't figure out which was correct and obviously i chose the wrong one.
a)in a container in the cabin
b)restraint, muzzled and on a moisture absorbent mat.

when i went through the CAR it stated that a container must not be placed in the cabin, so I chose the answer B.

Another question was on Smoking in an aircraft. I have read the CAR on Smoking prohibitions. But i couldnt find the answer i wanted for the exam. Is smoking now totally prohibited or there is a rule that allows smoking.?

Please help ;(

Regards,

Russell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• danparker86

danparker86 replied the topic: Re: In Search for KDR

Hi mate,

That's a shame about your result but 70% was not far off so you have done well so far at least you didn't get 30%

As for your questions if I recall correctly there are 4 answers to choose from on the question relating to the carriage of a dog. The correct answer in your case would have been a) as in CAR 256A it states "the operator of an aircraft may permit a live animal to be in the aircraft only if:

A) the animal is in a container and is carried in accordance with this regulation; or

B) the animal is carried with the written permission of CASA and in accordance with any conditions specified in the permission.

The answer you chose was referring to the carriage of a dog who is accompanying a visually or hearing impaired person (guide dog) in which case the guide dog must be carried in the passenger cabin and restrained on a moisture absorbent mat so that it may not leave the mat.

Basically unless it's a guide dog, put it in a cage.

As for smoking in an aircraft it is only prohibited on take off, landing,refuelling or when there is a sign indicating that smoking is prohibited at all times on an aircraft.

So to simplify for you if there's a permanent no smoking sign you can't smoke and the pilot has to use the no smoking annunciator during take off landing and refueling. If there isn't a sign up you can't smoke on take off, landing or refueling or if the no smoking light comes on or if there is a sign stating a time during the flight you can't smoke.

Hope this helps you out mate :)

Best of luck you'll get there next time

-Dan Parker

• seaskythe

seaskythe replied the topic: Re: In Search for KDR

Hmmmm Thats a tricky one.. CAR 256(5) states that a container in which an animal is kept must not be in the passenger cabin of an aircraft.. so it looks like he may as well leave his dog at home!
Or what am I missing?

• danparker86

danparker86 replied the topic: Re: In Search for KDR

Hi,

indeed it does say it may not be in the cabin. it does not say however, that it may not be in the aircraft, just not the cabin.

:) CASA never make it easy for us do they mate!!

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: In Search for KDR

It is often the case that a particular scenario may make it difficult to determine whether the law has been complied with. That's one reason why we have courts. Consider a cessna 172. The part of the fuselage that is intended to provide accommodation for the passengers and the luggage compartment are all under one roof and separated only by the rear seat back. If the animal is put in a container and placed in the luggage compartment, is it still in the cabin? Is the luggage compartment part of the cabin, or is it considered a separate area.

Would an animal in a container in the luggage compartment in a Cessna 172 still be considered to be in the 'cabin'?

The answer is we don't know. It would take a court case to decide it. Fortunately, the CASA exam questions avoid this problem by having most of the answer choices taken 'word for word' out of the document. You simply need to choose the answer that says exactly what the document says.

Obviously, if the luggage compartment was a completely separate area separated from the cabin by a bulkhead, then it would be perfectly legal to carry the animal in a container in the luggage compartment.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Animals in the Cabin

The following Advisory Circular might clear the muddy waters somewhat. It is marked as "Draft only: September 2001" in the footer but it does have advice on carriage of small and domestic pets in the cabin (Section 6.2). It can be found by searching CASA's website for "Carriage of Animals" or you can use this direct link to download the PDF:

Advisory Circular AC 91-045.pdf

It's not law, but it does give an indication of CASA's thoughts on the issue.

Cheers,

Rich

• seaskythe

seaskythe replied the topic: Re: In Search for KDR

Thanx everyone for your help! got 93% today. Somehow all 3 wrong questions in my KDR are about PRD hehe
One thing you should particularly note on the animal carriage matter is that they attempt to confuse us poor students by using the word "crate" instead of "container"
Also, I may have the answer to whether CASA would consider an animal in the luggage compartment of a GA aircraft as not being in the passenger cabin. It appears that they don't!

In a crate in the luggage compartment is the preferred place for putting a passenger's dog (according to the question).

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: In Search for KDR

Congratulations on the pass. That's a great result. Funny that just as we were discussing the carriage of animals, you get the question in the exam. Talk about good timing. Thanks for the heads-up on the answer.

I'll have to obscure your question quote since we want to do the right thing by CASA and avoid annoying them with online question dumps. Sorry about that :S Compliments on your excellent memory though!

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds