Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

HF Radios and Designated Remote Areas

• andrew1
  • Topic Author

andrew1 created the topic: HF Radios and Designated Remote Areas

Hey Bob,

Just a quick question regarding the requirement NOT to have an ELT if equipped with a HF radio in a designated remote area and going less than 50nm. This is what is stated on page 2.16/2.17 of your book. However, in the AIP GEN 1.5 1 Table, that requirement has been removed for the page dated 27 AUG 09? Does this mean irregardless of you having HF radio or not, you must carry an ELT?? There was nothing about this in the updates you provided??

Also syllabus point 3.3.3 states give examples of a situations which would require a 'security' prefix prior to a radio call? I have searched everywhere for this and couldn't find anything in your book or any of the laws or publications?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: HF Radios and Designated Remote Areas

Andrew

There was a requirement to carry and use HF radio when operating in a designated remote area unless a beacon was carried. However that has now been removed from the publications. The only requirement for a remote area now is to carry survival equipment appropriate to the nature of the country and submit a flight note or flight plan into the system. The usual 50 nm limit for flight without an ELT remains for any area in Australia. As for the security prefix, you can read all about it in CAR 194 'safety signal'. You don't hear much about it these days.

Bob

• andrew1
  • Topic Author

andrew1 replied the topic: Re:HF Radios and Designated Remote Areas

Thanks For That!

• james.niven

james.niven replied the topic: Designated Remote Areas, ELTs & SARTIME

On the subject of remote areas, review questions set 2 Q4 refers to a private flight in a remote area without an ELT. CAR 252A allows flight within 50NM of the aerodrome and the answer given is d which corresponds with this. However, the AIP 1.10 para 2.11 says that any VFR flight in a remote area requires a SARTIME or Flight Note and the table given after para 2.19 also shows this for PVT/AWK.

Q7 in the same set refers to a commercial pilot planning a flight in a remote area without an ELT, in this case the answer given is d - flight requires SARTIME/Flight Note and must be within 50NM.

In Q4 Answer b is must nominate a SARTIME/Flight Note and must be within 50NM, is this not the more correct answer for this question?

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Designated Remote Areas, ELTs & SARTIME

You are correct James. Both of those questions have been revised in the latest print of the Air Law book. They are left-overs from the older rules which have since be changed by amendments in the AIP. I will shortly be publishing a new list of amendments on the web page. These constant changes sure are a challenge!

• Duncan

Duncan replied the topic: Re: HF Radios and Designated Remote Areas

Hi Bob,

I'm studying CPL air law in the most current online book at the moment but remembered this old rule to have HF radio if no ELT within DRA. I couldn't quite remember where I had read it and then realised it was in the performance book so looked it up - on pg 221 of the CPL performance book there is still text saying that you need HF radio in DRA without ELT. I was a little confused as I couldn't find reference to it in any legal text so I 'Googled' it and it took me to this thread. Just thought I should let you know.

Cheers,
Duncan

bobtait replied the topic: HF Radios and Designated Remote Areas

The only specific requirements for designated remote areas now are (1) carriage of survival equipment and (2) requirement to nominate a SAR TIME or leave a FLIGHT NOTE.
The references are:
Survival equipment. CAO 10.11.7.1
SARTIME or FLIGHT NOTE: AIP ENR 1.10 para 2.11 (c)

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds