Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Differences between Fixed Wing and Heli

• sydflyer
  • Topic Author

sydflyer created the topic: Differences between Fixed Wing and Heli

I have been going through both fixed and heli exams at the same time. My reasoning is that much of the content is common and this proved to be the case for the general knowledge exam. I have a set of AFT notes and noticed many subjects reuse Bob's Books.

I have CMET, CHUF, CNAV, CSYH, CSYA all done. Just Aerodynamics, Air Law and Performance to go.

I'm just wondering if there are major differences between the Air Law exams for fixed wing and heli? From what I can see the main issues are the HLS (CAAP 92-2), Fuel (CAAP 234-1) and Helicopter VMC. Can anyone else who has done both exams offer any other observations?

Thanks
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Differences between Fixed Wing and Heli

You are correct. There is very little difference between Helicopter Air Law and Fixed Wing Air Law. You have correctly identified the main areas of difference. I often wonder why they have two separate exams because the bulk of the content is exactly the same.

• sydflyer
  • Topic Author

sydflyer replied the topic: Re: Differences between Fixed Wing and Heli

Thanks Bob,

I heard that some of it relates to ICAO requirements but not sure how true that is. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Richard

• sydflyer
  • Topic Author

sydflyer replied the topic: Re: Differences between Fixed Wing and Heli

Bob,

I just noticed neither of my exam confirmations make reference to taking in CAAP 92-1 / 92-2 / 234-1. Have these been removed from the exam? I notice you still have at least one question in the book about ALA's and obstacle slope.

Thanks
Richard

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Differences between Fixed Wing and Heli

You will not need the CAAP anyway. There are no questions on ALAs because CASA condider the CAAP to be advice only and not law. I included a couple of questions on ALAs simply as useful knowledge.

The only other items that could be relevant are the fuel reserves. A question could state that your are to carry reserves according to the CAAP. But most people have no problems with remembering 15% of the flight fuel for a charter and 45 mins fixed reserve for fixed wing [30 mins fixed reserve for helicopters].

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds