Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Adverse yaw

• Chao
  • Topic Author

Chao created the topic: Adverse yaw

Hi Bob/Rich,

Just enquire about a question of yaw.

As you can see in the pic, it is talking about roll and yaw. But recently I have read some else about adverse yaw. For example, if the airplane is rolling clockwise (from the pilot point of view), the airplane yaws to the left But in the your book, it said that the airplane yaws to right. Could you explain that for me, please?

Thanks,

Chao
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Adverse yaw

There are two separate things happening here. I suggest you grab a model aircraft as you read this.

1. An aircraft that has banked to the right of its own accord, due to the pilot's inattention or because the pilot has lost visual reference in cloud, will begin to side slip to the right because the lift can no longer support the weight. The relative airflow coming from the right hits the fin and rudder and other keel surfaces and produces a yaw to the right. In this case, the pilot never did use the ailerons and if left unchecked, it will result in a spiral dive.

2. In the second case, the pilot applies aileron to deliberately cause the aircraft to roll to the right. Because the aileron on the left goes down and produces increased lift and drag, the left wing is pulled backwards producing a yaw to the left. This effect is called 'aileron drag' or 'aileron yaw' or sometimes 'adverse yaw'. It has been designed out of most modern aircraft by the use of differential or Frise ailerons and is often hardly noticed. It is the result of uneven drag on the ailerons.

• Chao
  • Topic Author

Chao replied the topic: Adverse yaw

Thanks for your explanation.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds