Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Stability controllability maneuverability

• linc90
  • Topic Author

linc90 created the topic: Stability controllability maneuverability

Hi Bob Rich,

Can you please explain controllability maneuverability?
Just a bit confused in how COG position effects longitudinal stability the more aft the COG moves the weaker the moment becomes the more destabilizing moment becomes what happens to controllability does it decrease because there is weaker moment there ? between the control surface / tailplane.

I have seen in your text it says that Stability and maneuverability are opposites i'm just not clear on Maneuverability and controllability ?

Cheers
Linc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Stability controllability maneuverability

An aft centre of gravity reduces stability for the reasons you have given above. Since an aft centre of gravity is closer to the elevator hinge, the arm of the elevator is also reduced so the elevator becomes less effective requiring a larger deflection to produce the same response. In other words, controllability, especially in pitch and yaw will be reduced. When stability reduces, controllability also reduces.

It is interesting to note that a highly manoeuvrable aircraft like the Pitts Special, is actually less stable [more willing to change its attitude]. It takes more frequent and larger control deflections to control it. i.e. in spite of the fact that it is able to do a lot of extreme manoeuvres, it is actually less controllable.

Bob

• linc90
  • Topic Author

linc90 replied the topic: Stability controllability maneuverability

Thanks Bob that clears things up thank you

Cheers
Linc

Time to create page: 0.846 seconds