Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Best Glide Speed, flying with a tailwind

• basketball
  • Topic Author

basketball created the topic: Best Glide Speed, flying with a tailwind

Hi Folks,

Have a bit of curly question with regards to the best glide speed and flying with a tailwind.

Firstly, does flying at the best glide speed/lift-drag ratio give you the best air time?

My thought is that it would, based on the fact that any deviation from the best glide speed results in a higher angle of descent and hence a greater ROD.

If, I haven't got the above wrong, then how does flying at a speed slower than the best glide in a tailwind increase your range? Which would imply that flying at a speed slower than the best l/d ratio would give you the best air time.

I understand how the concept works when you have power, but not for glide.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Best Glide Speed, flying with a tailwind

Gidday Basketball,

In no wind, if you glide at the best lift-drag ratio speed you will certainly cover the greatest distance in the glide from any given height. However that is not necessarily the longest time in the air. By gliding a little slower than the best lift-drag ratio speed you will cover less distance because your gliding angle will be steeper. However, even though you are gliding down a steeper path, the lower speed will result in a longer time to hit the ground. In a tail wind, that extra time in the air will allow the wind to carry you further forward. There will always be a particular slower speed where the extra time in the air will result in the wind actually carrying you further than the nil-wind distance.

In practice, of course, it would be quite difficult to judge how much slower you would need to fly in a tailwind. That is really a function of both your gliding speed and the strength of the tail-wind component.

• basketball
  • Topic Author

basketball replied the topic: Best Glide Speed, flying with a tailwind

Thanks for the explanation Bob! B)

Me and a few blokes at the school were busting our heads over this one.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds