Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Aerody Passed! Question on Wake Turbulence

• Tom.RQM
  • Topic Author

Tom.RQM created the topic: Aerody Passed! Question on Wake Turbulence

Hey Bob and Richard,
Just like to let you know that I passed CADA this morning with 88%! Really happy :woohoo:

One question that I did encounter that I've never seen before was to do with wake turbulence:

What is the effect on wake turbulence dissipation with wind and turbulence? (something along those lines - I can't really remember the answer options)

I understand that a crosswind will mean that the wake will stay on the runway for a longer period of time, but I just don't understand how either turbulence or wind will effect the dissipation?

Thanks,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Aerody Passed! Question on Wake Turbulence

A simple way to look at it is to remember that vortices behave like smoke. Smoke lingers in the atmosphere longest when the air is dead calm. Strong winds create turbulence as they tumble over obstacles like buildings or trees or hills. That causes mixing of the air [a bit like stirring your coffee after you've added the milk]. That mixing quickly dissipates the smoke. The same thing happens to vortices in turbulent air.

Bob

• Tom.RQM
  • Topic Author

Tom.RQM replied the topic: Re: Aerody Passed! Question on Wake Turbulence

Ahh, okay - thanks for getting back to me!
Makes much more sense when you put it that way!

Onto AGK now! Probably my least confident subject :dry:

Thanks again,
Tom

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds