Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

End of Take Off

• peter2480
  • Topic Author

peter2480 created the topic: End of Take Off

I have a question relating to the following exam question:

Select the situation in which ground effect is most pronounced:

During the take off run

At 50 feet during the approach to land

Immediately after take off

During the landing roll.

Answer given as correct is "immediately after take off".

From Ops and performance the definition given is that take off ends at 50 feet above the runway (or clearway). As ground effect diminishes rapidly more than a wingspan above the ground I answered with the choice of "50 feet during the approach" as this would be closer to the ground.

Any thought on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: End of Take Off

Hi Peter,

It's really a lot to do with the wording. You can immediately discount A and D. B states "AT 50 feet". As you've said, ground effect disappears very quickly once the aircraft is higher than it's own wingspan above the ground (after takeoff or before landing), so at 50 feet (in most GA aircraft) ground effect wouldn't be noticeable.

Ground effect is more pronounced immediately after takeoff, while the aircraft is still within that wingspan from the ground. This is the reason pilots of overloaded aircraft seem to think all is good because the aircraft has become airborne, but once out of ground effect, the increased induced drag then comes to the party and lo and behold, the aircraft struggles to climb.

I think I see where you're coming from using the performance data but the answers given included immediately after takeoff and at 50 feet during approach to land, not after (the definition of;) the takeoff.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: End of Take Off

Actually Peter, you have made a good point. I'll rewrite that question to say 'immediately after lift-off'. Thanks for the feed-back.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds