Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

• abargri
  • Topic Author

abargri created the topic: CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

Hi everyone,

I am due to sit the PPL(A) exam soon, and have just purchased a set of CAOs and CARs. Despite the cardiac arrest I nearly suffered when I saw the box and the extent of them, I am not lost as to how to index them, catalogue them, and basically how to find stuff in them.

For example, if there is a question on passenger limits, I might have an idea of where to find it, but is there an easy catalogue, contents page, or index I could possible refer to? and maybe take into the exam?

Cheers, Pally

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

There is no index permitted in the exam unfortunately. However, we have out together a PPL air law supplement which you can take in if you print it out and bind it.
www.bobtait.com.au/files/pdf/supplements...-Air-Law-Extract.pdf

As for navigating the original documents, check out this post for some info on the CAOs:
www.bobtait.com.au/forum/air-law/4075-fi...topics-in-cao-s#5306

Also, for the CARs you can use this mud-map:
  • CAR Regulations 1 to 61 - relate to definitions, maintenance and airworthiness and are in volume 1
  • CAR 5.xx - moved to the CASR 61.xxx and relate to medical and licensing.
  • CAR 77-343 - Rules of the air etc and this is volume 3.

We don't worry about anything else except Schedule 8 in Volume 4 (permitted maintenance). Don't forget the VFRG from CASA. It is a little dated but it is still a vital air law reference for the PPL exam once you print it out and bind it. No tabbing is permitted in it but highlighting is OK. It has a fabulous Table of contents, index and glossary of terms and abbreviations.

You can find it here:
www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90008

Please let me know if that Air Law supplement helps you out. Remember, it must be bound and although highlighting is OK, tabbing is NOT permitted in this supplement either.

Cheers,

Rich

• abargri
  • Topic Author

abargri replied the topic: CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

Hi Rich,

Thank you. The supplement is very helpful, and I guess it would have been more helpful had I had taken it to the exam (which was two weeks ago now). I ended up buying the complete set of CAO/CARs etc. They definitely were needed, but would have been better off with this supplement. Will have to look to try and sell those volumes now

Needless to say, I passed with a very pleasing score (88%).

Thanks again for your help. I love this forum, and hope that I can continue to read, learn and contribute in the years ahead.

cheers, Pally

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

Congrats on the pass Pally!
I am glad to hear you are enjoying the forums and please feel free to contribute - stories in the "Hangar Talk" sub-forum are always welcome. There are a lot of students working there way towards the magical PPL or CPL licence and they will undoubtedly love to hear how it's going for you.

Happy flying and soft landings always.

Cheers,

Rich

• ssy

ssy replied the topic: CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

Hi,

Is this document still current and are we still allowed to take it in to the exam?

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

G'day ssy
Yes the extract is still current and can be used in the exam as long as you follow CASA's rules on permitted materials in the exam

www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/permitted-material-under-part-61

Cheers
Stuart

• whizwheel

whizwheel replied the topic: CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

Hi Stuart,

Is that PPL air law extract above still current for 2020? (On the extract webpage there is no link for it - only CPL and IREX)

I am currently looking into what docs I need for the PPL exam and have come across this thread.

I note in the exam we can have the AIP and VFRG, however as I will be continuing onto CPL I don't see much point purchasing the VFRG.

I also dont want to purchase all the CAOs/CARs as I can just use the CPL Air Law extract that you guys have provided.

Ideally id like to just have the AIP and an extract.

Thoughts?

• Stuart Tait

G'day
Yes it's current but you'll need more that just an AIP and the extract.

Attachments:

• whizwheel

whizwheel replied the topic: CAOs CARs - How to find stuff!!??

Thanks Stuart for your quick response.

Just to confirm, the extract is used in place of the VFRG, CAR 1988, CASR Part 61, CAO 20-95.2, CAAP 92-1(1) and CAAP 234-1(2.1) listed in the permitted materials?

Therefor I would be planning to bring the following:
Bob Tait Air Law Extract (Printed and bound as per CASA instructions)
AIP Book
ERSA
AUS PCA
Sydney, Townsville and Bourke WACs
Navigation Equipment
A 'Basic Calculator'

Many thanks, appreciate the help!

• Stuart Tait

Thanks correct but I might add the VFRG really is all you need for PPL as it's very easy to use resourse compared to the AIP
It's your choice

The CAAP's are not included

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds