Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Actual Obstacle free gradient from end of TODA

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier replied the topic: Re: Actual Obstacle free gradient from end of TODA

Dear All,

Agree with the last post by David...quite a tortuous experience are the old performance exams, and have to say that some of the charts (linear especially) would give you a good work-out!

Heard from an instructor that the ATPL charts are another order of magnitude harder!

Well done David, especially since you were ill.

Good luck with the aerodynamics exam. I promised myself that I would leave the Air Law textbook alone, but I find myself looking in the direction of the ever growing pile of text books....

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Actual Obstacle free gradient from end of TODA

Well done David, a pass is always a pass and Performance certainly makes you work for it. You definitely have grounds for a gripe or two about the exam itself, would I be correct in saying that in the 'old days' of paper exams, marks may be credited for the correct working, even though the answer wasn't quite right (obviously not full marks).. I think I've heard this somewhere before, could be an old wives tale though! The cyberexam system obviously doesn't want to know about your working so long as the cursor clicked the right circle.

Interesting you didn't have to use your computer at all?! I didn't consult ERSA either.

For both of you, if you can get through Performance, CLWA is a walk in the park to be honest.

Good luck!

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Actual Obstacle free gradient from end of TODA

Congratulations David. At least you can put that behind you now. It is true that in 'the old days' 1970s and 80s, the CPL exams were written exams. There were five multi-choice exams and when you passed them you qualified to sit the dreaded FINAL. The final exam was a written exam which supplied actual WACs and ERCs along with TAFs ARFORs and NOTAM informaton. You had to do a full flight plan over a given route with intermediate landings where you either added or unloaded cargo/passengers. You had to maintain the aircraft in balance throughout. As the flight progressed you got questions on air law, met and nav that related to this flight.

Some questions were essay answers e.g. explain why thunderstorms are forecast east of the ranges - that type of thing. Each paper was manually marked in Canberra and the result was posted to you about 10 days later. You did get 'part marks' for questions but I think you are probably better off under the present system. I can't imagine some of the young guys coming through now writing 10 lines on the formation of a subsidence inversion!

• dtrembath

dtrembath replied the topic: Re: Actual Obstacle free gradient from end of TODA

Thanks all

Had a sleep on it (first night over 4 hours for a while now) and feel a bit better (it's behind me) ... however, I still really like doing all those performance calculations and problem solving .... just some of those charts!!!!!

Agree Bob ... multiple choice is far better than the older system (which could never work these days anyway ... cost the govt too much and people just don't want to WAIT for results).
However, there are proven methods to incorporate partial credit in MC exams for complex/extended scenarios .....

For captainellzy: thanks for your comments .... I didn't use the CR3 at all as I do all conversions (distance, time, speed,etc) on the calculator .... quicker and more accurate.
I didn't have to do any TAS/CAS/PH/DH conversions or given track wind V/D find heading etc questions ... therefore no need for CR3 ... such a handy device though.

It's the 24th ... off to do my Xmas shopping ... hopefully can get that done successfully in 150 minutes.

Have a great Xmas/New year to all of you ..

David

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds