Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hello to you all

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

Hi Ted, welcome aboard!

After completing your BAK exam at a local flying school, your logbook will be endorsed to show you have successfully passed. Once you have sat and passed the CASA PPL exams at one of their exam centres, you will receive a printed statement of your results and your record at CASA will be updated to reflect that.

We don't offer any BAK/PPL "certificates" here at the school since that is controlled solely by CASA. The online courses (once they become available) will offer a completion certificate but that is not an officially recognised document.

See you around the forums!

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• onlinetraining

onlinetraining replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

Thanks richard :)

i have a BAK book by David Robson but people are saying that i should get a Bob Tait bak book... is there any difference between the two?

thanks

Ted

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

I haven't seen a copy of David Robson's book so I really can't say what differences exist between the two. I know Bob's textbook covers everything you need to know for the BAK exam and is used widely by schools around the country but ATC's books are very popular as well.

Your choice of textbook really comes down to personal preference based on the writing and presentation styles of the authors. These books will be your study companion as you prepare for the exam and you don't want to spend hours with a book you don't like. A lot of people like Bob's conversational and relaxed writing style and often find the sample questions are very close to those asked in the CASA exams you'll encounter later.

You've got David's book already and that may well be all you need. However, if you want to check out Bob's BAK then you can take a sneak peak at the BAK sample pages and see if you like the style or not. (There's other samples to be found at the bottom of the books information page )

There's probably no need to mention this but using Bob's books is not a prerequisite for using these forums so feel free to hang out here if you have any questions, no matter what you decide :)

Cheers and happy studying

Rich

• PeterG

PeterG replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

Hi Ted,
in regards to what books or series of books that are better or worse than the other. The two series being Aviation Theory Centre and Bob Tait's theory books.
I began as you with the ATC BAK book and found it informative and comprehensive. I was using the ATC BAK prior to signing up to the flight school i am with. When i signed up the CFI said his school prefers Bob's books, I bought a copy and found there is quite a lot of difference. The real clues are actually located in the fronts of Bob's and David's books. The short sections about the authors. David is from a military back ground with extensive knowledge of aviation and it shows in the texts, Bob is from a teaching background. The essential concept that is important to us students is the transference of knowledge, David does a great job at this yet Bob was a professional teacher and the result is text that is aimed at us boys with our toys. ATC texts do take considerable time to get through as you are aware by now, Bob's i find are easier to read and therefore quicker to get through and more time efficient. David's includes a lot more material, some I not to sure is really necessary but is there because it helps.
The other consideration is after BAK. Both series have the BAK as a single volume, yet to PPL ATC uses a 7 volumn kit in total about 13 cm thick of text that includes both PPL and CPL. Bob's is a single volume about 2 cm thick and covers only PPL. Bob's CPL course uses a 7 volumn text for CPL only. How thick i don't know. Yet the point is, going for PPL time is a serious question and 2 cm of text is quicker than 7 cm. also bob writes the text to be absorbed far quicker. I say Bob's PPL will take me 2 weeks to get through, i've bought myself the ATC PPL/CPL kit and i am looking at the box now, i guess probably 6 months to get through.
I have only obtained my BAK a few weeks ago, to get there i used both ATC and Bob's BAK books. This is a trend I am going to try as i proceed to the PPL and beyond to CPL. The reasons why, 1. Cover the same topics and information from two perspectives, though subtle, slight confusion on an issue from one text can be addressed differenly in the other text. 2. Repeating of topics and reading, though in normal life is not really an advantage, but in the air where ever piece of knowledge is the difference between having a great, enjoyable flight, and that of disaster, going over and over the material is not only useful for exams, but essensital for safe flying. 3. I enjoy flying to such a great extent, I want to know as much about it as i can. Using both series of books especially BAK gives me a greater understanding of the fundamental principles of flight theory. This is an important argument. doesn't matter what your endevour is, whether flying, business, sport or something completely different, gaining a thorough understanding of the fundamentals in the early stages, even if it takes longer, will pay dividends further in the studies. 4. More books, means more end of topic questions and answers and more practice exams. You need as many of these as you can get your hands on.
The drawbacks of using both series, 1. cost: you are essentially doubling the expenditure for text books, consider this along side the cost of flying lessons. Therefore, the extra cost of buying two sets of books is really a non-issue. 2. Time: It will of course take more time to get through all the reading. therefore you leasure time doing something else (movies, night clubs, etc) will be reduced. That doesn't matter because you go do an hours solo flying in the circuit and movies, night clubs become boring horible places anyway because you can only think of flying. makes going to work more boring also.
so my opionion and it is only my opinion, get both series of books. Bob's are far easier to read and digest, David's more extensive but will take considerable time. Example Bob's BAK takes me a couple of weeks, David's a month and a half. Considerable difference.

Thanks for listerning.

Thanks Bob for your books and go the Crows

• onlinetraining

onlinetraining replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

thanks PeterG!
well i have lot of studying to do now :) thanks bro

Cheers,

TED

• PeterG

PeterG replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

you and me both. call up on msn during you stints at study, i'll probably be here studying also.
cheers

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

It may be appropriate for me to present my philosophy on aviation education.

Firstly, flying training is not science, it's industrial education. We are teaching people to operate a machine safely. In my long association with flying training, I recall that many of the most gifted students, those we often call 'naturals' have been people with no academic background. Often they were guys [and girls] who grew up on outback stations or farms who looked upon the aeroplane as another machine in the shed. Others were from the agricultural aviation world.

I have written my books with these people in mind. It is necessary to pass the CASA theory exams to obtain a pilot's licence and that is one of the main objectives of the books. I make no apology for that. I have given the highest priority to those areas that directly affect safety and have tried to avoid unnecessary academic argument. If students wish to delve into the science behind it all there are other excellent books available to say nothing of the ever-present internet.

Few would argue that you can be a safe driver without a working knowledge of how a differential transmission works. You can also be a safe navigator with being able to geometrically construct a Mercator grid.

It is easy to confuse education with intelligence. There are many highly intelligent people who lack education just as there are many highly educated people who lack intelligence.

• Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

Peter G - I concur as to the easy reading common sense style of Bob's texts. I am reading the Met one at the moment but since I am studying so many other things I am using it just as recreational / entertainment reading. (It doent dumb the subject down either - compared with Trevor Thom) It serves that very well - it has a flowing captivating tone and I love nothing better than to read it when I am travelling.

Bob - it is interesting to hear you use the "farm machinery" analogy. I have heard it quite a few times before. The mixture of intuition, nouse, instuction, discussion that goes into a good operator of any item of plant is exactly the way learning an airplane should be approached.

Good call.

• Hume

Hume replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

Hi Every body, WOW just got all my Theory books today, I'am doing my (CPL)H Distance Learning Course,I'am starting with Meteorology I haven't studied in a while May Need all the help I can Get. Looking forward to the Challenge !

• Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton replied the topic: Re: Hello to you all

Hey good for you ! It's a marvelous text book.

If you want something much more engrossing, more for entertainment than CPL study here is a great series of lectures.

Enjoy.

Regards

Mark

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds