Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

UAV/UAS Controller's license

• michaelv
  • Topic Author

michaelv replied the topic: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Matt,

(I responded earlier; looks like my reply did not stick).

Thanks for the info Matt. I am familiar with the OC requirements also. Haven't progressed much further at present due to other commitments.

I am curious about your insurance. I was informed, albeit second hand, to budget on around 1k-2k? Obviously this is dependent on many factors. Can you share some info regarding insurance? For example, the process you/your insurer went through to determine your premium.

I also had a look at your website. 3D aerial mapping sounds like a high value service. Look forward to seeing you progress.

Best,

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaelv
  • Topic Author

michaelv replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the information.

Your UAV application sounds inline with my commercial pursuits also. Perhaps we could T-up and time to chat and see if there is a mutual fit of any sort?

Best,

Michael.

• airmap3d

airmap3d replied the topic: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Micheal,

I used a broker for my insurance, it's generally a lot easier. All I did was supply him with an overload of information about what I intend on doing, the UAV I will be using, my experience and qualifications and UAV's in general. As most people have no idea about them apart from the fact that they drop bombs in Afghanistan and the kid next door fly's a toy one around using his iPhone!!

I guess it will be very dependent on many factors such as the size of your UAV, where you intend to use it, your experience/qualifications etc and also how good your broker may be. The value of the service you supply shouldn't really effect the PL premium but will certainly effect the Professional Indemnity insurance, although your direction possibly won't require this?

My PL premium has been quoted at $4000. You may be able to get a cheaper quote as I intend on flying over the mines and they always charge more for anything to do with the mining industry. Keep in mind though that no-one is allowed to fly over populous areas (unless special permission is granted from CASA) so essentially we should all just be flying over 'open' ground. If you were to be flying over populous areas then I can only assume the PL premium would skyrocket!

If you have any more questions, fire away... I'm happy to assist where I can.

Regards,

Matt.

• ArkRisk

ArkRisk replied the topic: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi guys,

Great to read posts of others working their way through the CASA requirements for UAV Controllers/Operators.

I concur the requirements are very onerous - however when you consider the diverse nature UAV possible operations & associated potential risks - their cautious approach with a fledgling industry has some merit.

Have a look at the muppets who crash into the side of a building in the NZ - Auckland CBD area -

Whilst they may have been non commercial operators it highlights the potential risks.

I am currently studying the BAK / PPL exam texts whilst researching the requirements for Operators / Flight manuals.

Whilst the guys @ CASA UAV have provided some basic framework for the development of the manuals, I have some difficulties getting my head around the depth / breadth they require.

Area of operation we are heading towards is photography / filming - architectural etc.

Looking forward to hear how you guys progress.

Cheers
Mark :)

• ecomlocations

ecomlocations replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi

Sure, the more people in our network of associated fields, the better.

My details are

www.ecomlocations.com
M: 0410 315 103
E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I had this idea that a group of people could pool funds to create a broad operations manual that we could all share and adjust, making it cheaper. I got a quote for 12k to get one done.

Cheers

Luke

• ecomlocations

ecomlocations replied the topic: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Mark,

There is away experts can do the manual at a price. If we get a group of people with similar operations, then it would be a cheaper exercise. It does mean we would be privy to each others strengths and weaknesses, but then again, if we all enter the industry on a level playing field, the only difference will be ones marketing skills, contacts and depth of knowledge within their key target market. We will all have similar Target and secondary markets, Im sure. Competition is great, but associations are great too and allows the industry to set up industry standards in pricing for pilots, controllers, Equipment rentals etc. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Luke

• airmap3d

airmap3d replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Mark, I totally agree with you on the CASA side of things. It's not so much CASA that are making it difficult but more so the massive variety of UAV's, their diverse applications and the speed at which they are entering the market... not to mention guys like that in Auckland, what a tool! CASA need to be careful as if and when anything goes wrong, there will be fingers pointed in their direction seeking answers so they are just covering all bases for now.

To all... The Operations Manual was (is) my largest hurdle by far. I searched high and low for assistance with writing one of these to no avail. CASA had said to me from day one that I should be writing it myself as essentially it is 'my' document and it is how 'I' intend to run my operation. So after a while I bit the bullet and just started writing. I have so far completed my first draft and am about to submit to CASA for review. I've never even seen an OM in my life but I followed the template supplied by CASA and have done the best I could. I'm expecting to have to make a few changes but I think I'm on the right path. 69 pages all up, including appendices, so it was no easy task. You will need to become fairly familiar with the Act and Regs.

What you need to keep in mind is the simplicity (or complexity) of what you intend to do. I started to get a little carried away in places, writing it as though I was writing one for a massive airline with 1000 employees. Once I reminded myself that I am (at this stage) a single person operation with one UAV doing the same process everywhere I go I started to simplify things quite a lot. If your intentions are more complex then your OM should reflect this. A lot of the sections were simply 'reserved' as they did not apply to my operation as it stands now. I may or may not need them in the future but for now they are not relevant. You will also need to know (if you don't own it already) exactly what UAS you are intending on using as an entire section is devoted to this.

Other things you are likely to need are Risk Assessments, DAMP, Privacy Policy, Code of Conduct, Hours of Work Policy, SMS, flight logs, maintenance logs, incident reports/procedures, battery logs and the list goes on!!! Once again, if your operation is simple, then that's all these need to be too.

It has taken me a very long time to compile all of these but really that was all it took, time (mixed with a lot of research, determination and late nights).

I will keep you all informed as to how my application progresses. If and when I get it through I may be in a situation to assist others. Most of you sound like you will not be in any direct competition to me so I wouldn't see the harm in helping (maybe for a small fee of course!).

Matt.

• ArkRisk

ArkRisk replied the topic: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Luke

The concept of an generic operations manual is worthy of consideration.

At this juncture I have little reference of understanding of the key areas of inclusion in such a document.

Non do I have an understanding as to the depth/breadth required by CASA in regards to each area.

It would be interesting to gain a global understanding - which would prove clarity as to whether they are generic with some teaking to suit specific business operation profiles - which would suit your concept.

If there is a significant variation - there is the option of pooling resourced knowledge - some of which may generic that we all can utilise.

As a side issue - we are located in SA.

Cheers
Mark

• ArkRisk

ArkRisk replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

There is a strong case for undertaking the development of an Operations Manual - and you elude to it in your post.

The process created an environment for you to question and explore the full scope of your operations - as a result I suspect you have a much better '3 demensional' understanding of your business. I have no doubt during the process you discovered and had to address potential weaknesses - which may have had a detrimental impact on your business.

Similarly, I suspect you were able to identify and further explore opportunities / capabilities on which to capitalize.

No doubt most people on first viewing the CASA requirements, will have a 'knee jerk' reaction and complain of a bureaucratic philosophy. Whilst I understand the charter of CASA regarding 'safe operations' of the industry - the process and output of the operations manual provides a significant level of protection to my business.

Fore example, in most states of Australia the current Workplace Safety legislation creates offences / leading to possible prosecution 'where others' may be injuried as a result of my work activity - this is not constrained to employer / employee relationships.

Whilst we carry public liability insurances - this does not provide protection from a criminal prosecution per the above legislation. The current maximum penalty in most states now being $3m for the organisation & $600k for individuals.

A well thought out / implemented management / operations system should minimise both the likelihod of an incident and provide some defence should criminal / civil action be instigated.

Cheers
Mark :)

• airmap3d

airmap3d replied the topic: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Update...

OC all but approved. Practical assessment next Monday and assuming all goes well I should receive my approval a few weeks after that.

I will keep you all posted as to how it goes and will write a more elaborate post about the process once it's complete.

Watch this space...!!

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds