Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

ADF relative bearings

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Aviatordan replied the topic: ADF relative bearings

Ahh, so 130 degree relative would be the answer. Superb!

Now, here is one I got wrong in the last exam, and I think I understand why...

You set out to maintain a flight planned track of 071 degrees M by holding a constant heading of 068 degrees M. You notice that your ADF is reading a steady 180 degrees R. The track error has been...

My first thought, and I jumped the gun I guess, was that "It's indicating 180 deg R therefore the TE is zero", which was my answer. However, the correct answer was 3 deg left.

In a normal question like this, where the ADF would be reading say 188 deg R you would go:
H +- A = T
068 + 8 = 076 track made good
Then using the track error diagram you would say FPT is 071 and the TMG is 078 which is larger therefore the TE has been 7 degree right.

However, am I right in saying that as the heading is different to the FPT, by reading 180 deg R the ADF is actually saying "the track you are making good is equal to your heading, which in this case is 068". Because if you look at it mathematically:
H +- A = T
068 +- 0 = 071
Therefore using the track error diagram, you go FPT is 071 and the TMG is 068 which is less, thus the track error has been 3 degrees left?
So, the only time the TE will be zero with the ADF reading 180 R is if the heading and the track are equal?

Does that make sense, and if so is my understanding correct?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: ADF relative bearings

The answer is right. Some of your numbers have confused me though.

Mr W.

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Aviatordan replied the topic: ADF relative bearings

Thanks Mister W!

Disregard my rambling, I was simply saying that whenever the question states that you try to maintain FPT by holding a heading with a wind correction angle and the ADF is indicating 180 degrees R, the heading you are holding equals the TMG. I.e. in the question:
FPT = 071
HDG = 068
ADF R = 180
Therefore you can instantly tell that the TMG is 068 degrees.

Cheers,

Dan :lol:

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds