Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× This is the forum where our students can discuss things relating to their studies or experiences they have had while studying Bob's courses. Please keep it clean, professional and of course entertaining!

From BAK to PPL

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: From BAK to PPL

Great choice of music for the last vid.. Good old Gunners!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PeterG
  • Topic Author

PeterG replied the topic: Re: From BAK to PPL

Hey guys. the vids are great. Bob, I did one of those one wheel down the runway also. But i was trying to land it. Instructor wasn't impressed. Would love to see some vids of the early landings of students. Some of mine were absolutely shocking. I wonder if ATC sit up there laughing at us students.
I recall a number of years ago of seeing someone in i think a 737 maybe or a large jet doing a barrel row. the camera was on the flight deck behind the pilot. The pilot was i believe demonstrating how to do a barrel roll with a glass of water sitting on something. the water in the glass remained level and did not spill. has anybody seen this video. be interesting to see it again.
Thanks for the encouragement. i'll be needing it. out for my first area solo on sunday. looking forward to it. My instructor has told me some of the exercises i have to do out there. not just simply flying around and enjoying oneself. PFLs, steep turns and stall recovery. the last has me a little nervous. previous practice, my instructor (Phillip) has been there. I have absolute confidence in his ability as an instructor. that is where the problem is. previous practice at stall recovery, i knew he was there just in case something went wrong. On my own, i don't have that luxury. i've practiced these, studied the procedures yet having the correct feel especially the rudder i don't think is there just yet. I'm going to make sure i have full control at all times which i think is not quite at the stall. at the stall, there is a short period of uncontrollability especially if there is a wing drop. I really don't want to be facing the ground. I'm training in a Diamond Katana DA 20. it has a canopy with very good vis. the canopy also doesn't look very strong. i've seen the ground a few times above my head.
I don't know why i'm like this. i think it is to do with having control of the situation. i'll jump on my bike and tear through the hills a high speed. i have no problems with that. but stall recovery with wing drop scares the hell out of me. yet not enough for me not try it again. lol. that's flying. still can't get enough.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: From BAK to PPL

This might be the video you're thinking of. The legendary Bob Hoover pouring iced tea while performing a roll (you can click forward to 2:07 to see the roll but the whole film is really interesting).

Apprehension is normal, Peter don't sweat it. It's a natural safety mechanism. As you get more experience you'll feel better. It's a whole, wonderful, new world up there so don't be surprised that it takes you a bit of time to get your confidence up.

Putting it another way, would you have felt confident tearing through the hills riding a motorbike at high speed with only a few hours on a bike under your belt? Would you consider a rider that behaved like that to be responsible and properly cautious?

With flying it's the same: experience builds confidence. Stalls and the like are a new thing to you, but as you gain experience and develop your skills, your confidence will also grow.

The trick is to make sure the confidence doesn't grow faster than the skills. THAT is what will get you into trouble!

You'll be right mate ;)

• benharris10

benharris10 replied the topic: Re: From BAK to PPL

That is a great video Rich... I've suggested to Bob that he flies the decathlon from the back seat and I'll sit in the front and pour some kind of drink while he flies some positive aerobatics.... But I have a funny feeling that he may throw some negative in there just to drench me for fun.

You're right, the aeroplane is a 707... See the video below.

707 roll

Check this video out, from the description it is of students trying to land the famous U2 spy plane, Although I'm pretty sure some of my landings still look like this.

U2 Landings

While on the subject of the U2, this is a great video from James May from top gear who is lucky enough to get a ride in one ( I'm just going to share some of my favorite vids, this is around the coffee table after all)

James May - edge of space

This one is just plain funny. Or should that be plane funny?

Negative G dog.

One more for good measure which I'm sure alot of people have seen, quite mean, but funny at the same time.

Enjoy, and share if you have other good ones!

• DRM

DRM replied the topic: Re: From BAK to PPL

Is spin recovery not mandatory in Australia?

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds