Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× This is the forum where our students can discuss things relating to their studies or experiences they have had while studying Bob's courses. Please keep it clean, professional and of course entertaining!

How to expain flying

• pannier

pannier replied the topic: Re: How to expain flying

Now back to practice CPL Law exams! (aka the surly bonds of Earth...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton replied the topic: Re: How to expain flying

PeterG,

you are leaning towards aviation as a job or a recreation?

Unless you have loads of dough, pure recreational flying can be frustrating.

Gliding is on the face of it a worthwhile outlet. The times I gave it a go I loved the actual flying - Blanik is a great stick and rudder flying machine. Trouble is you have to drive forever to get to venue and once there, you wind up sitting about slapping a lot of flies.

I concentrated on the Tiger Moth the Royal Aero Club (Perth) had on the line since a classic like that for hire at reasonable rates is an opportunity to be grabbed. Ditto the Chipmonk.

• PeterG
  • Topic Author

PeterG replied the topic: Re: How to expain flying

Hi Mark,
I would love to fly commercially, yet I must remain within reality as I am probably too old to seriously entertain the thought that I can gain employment in the industry. However, I am determined to grab whatever opportunities that come around. Even considering my own business. I have noticed a possible market though that will be dependent on the feasibility study.
Flying is expensive, therefore, any of us "broke students/ex-students" to enjoy flying, then having someone else pay for it is the only real option.
I look at it this way, I'm going to fly anyway. Might as well use the flight experience towards the cpl and study the theory. If no employment comes about, at least I will have a greater understanding and be a much safer pilot.
Gliders, seem like a lot of fun, yet I kind of enjoy a little power. Ok, I think I would like a LOT of power. Considering I ride a bike with more power than most 6 cylinder cars and a higher top speed than most GA aircraft. Reponsibly of course.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: How to expain flying

Responsibly, like this PeterG?

• PeterG
  • Topic Author

PeterG replied the topic: Re: How to expain flying

I have another saying, "if you do something stupid, that is when you will get it". This guy is riding on luck. I don't think he will last much longer. Hopefully he won't take out somebody else. This is getting a little off topic but there can be something learned in the context of flying.
I am a member of the Ulyses Club. An organisation that caters for the over 40 motorcyclist. I was also road safety officer for the Motorcycle Riders Assocation in SA. I have heard the details of many motorcycle accidents. Almost all were preventable by the rider. I've argued this many times with riders who have come off and to this day, haven't lost an argument.
Simple obversation, what difference is it between a younger rider who has had a few accidents over a year who blames everybody else to that of older rides i meet at Ulyses who have been riding for 20, 30, or 40+ years without a single incident. Answer, attitude. If you retain the attitude of taking responsibility of all situations, you have the ability to control the outcome safely.
This is the attitude which i learnt from riding and now take to flying. Take responsibility, assess the situation, perform corrective action and have a safe outcome. The study and preparaton we all do (i believe) is part of the attitude. And above all, don't do anything stupid.
Thanks for the video, I'll pass that one on to some riders I know. I've seen stupidity like that on Adelaide roads and know what the outcomes are. Not pleasent.
Be safe flying and enjoy it.

• brook

brook replied the topic: Re: How to expain flying

Hi Peter,

Yes I understand exactly what you are talking about. Bob put it nicely too!

Just posted this link in another part of the forum, if a picture paints 1000 words, then this video must paint a few million..

Maybe this would a good way of showing them...

Brook

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds