Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

review questions set 2

• rossy
  • Topic Author

rossy replied the topic: Re: review questions set 2

Ok, so unfortunately i failed my exam today. finished with score of 78%. to say that i am unhappy and frustrated would be an understatement...

Very frustrating indeed. a couple of the ones i got wrong i have no idea about.

First one was what to do if in class g airspace and accidently enter a prohibited area. I chose the answer that said to leave asap and land at destination and immediately contact the relevant authority. Not sure where this is in the publications?

Another was a TEMPO q where all it said was a taf for your destination contained TEMPO for SCT CB. No oher detail. No height were given so i took this as meaning that no hold fuel or altn req as it didnt specifically say anyhting about the height of the sct CB so i assumed it wouldnt affect me. Do we just assume that any inter or tempo will affect our flt even when we are not sure of the actual ht of the cld contained in the inter or tempo?? im confused.

Another was about a departure report from longreach ctaf and wether we made the report to bn cen or on the longreach ctaf and what was stated in that report... Can anyone help me with this one also?

Those are the few that i cant quite get my head around.

Also was one that said 'if 1013 HPa was showing on your alt subscale, what would the altimeter read'

a pressure height
b density altitude
c altitude
d cant remember.

Cant remember what i put but i got it right. think i may have put pressure height. Would this be correct?

Thanks in advance.

So close as this is my last exam and have done pretty well in all my others with first time passes in all bar this one and scored a couple of decent marks too!

:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: review questions set 2

Ah Rossy, sorry to hear about your troubles mate. That's a blow for sure and 78% is the worst score to get - just one off a pass! Very frustrating :(

But! Don't sweat it too much though. Have a glass of your favourite and take a deep breath. Air Law can be a funnny one and you are not the first to miss it on the first go so it does not mean you won't cut it. It does show that there's a few areas to brush up on but you are so close to being up to standard you're bound to be prepared next time.

As for your questions, I'm just about to head home to my digs in Redcliffe at the moment but I'll take a look at some of those questions and give you some more detailed answers later on if Bob doesn't beat me to it first ;)

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard

OK, here's some information for you:
The answer you want is in CAR 140:

If the pilot in command of an aircraft finds that the aircraft is over a prohibited area or a restricted area in contravention of subregulation (4) or (5), the pilot must:
(a) immediately have the aircraft flown to a position where it is not over the area; and
(b) when the aircraft reaches a position where it is not over the area, report the circumstances to air traffic control; and
(c) land at such aerodrome as is designated by air traffic control and, for that purpose, obey any instructions given by air traffic control as to the movement of the aircraft.

They should have specified the bases for the Cb in the TAF (since Cb is just a cloud type) but they won't specify tops. Cb's are the cloud type associated with thundertorms (TS) but the presence of Cbs does not necessarily mean TS are active. If they were then you would see TS on the forecast and the presence of TS means you must have an alternate or the appropriate holding.(Check out AIP ENR 57.2.5 in particular as it relates to Thunderstorms but that whole section relates to the met requirements for holding and alternates.)

However, in your question, the significant thing is the presence of the TEMPO in the TAF. Basically if there's an INTER or a TEMPO you need an alternate or the relevant holding fuel IF the weather associated with the TEMPO or the INTER is below the alternate minima for your flight (VFR or IFR). It is possible that the INTER or TEMPO refer to weather that is not below minima but simply a worsening of the forecast conditions. In that case you wouldn't need to carry holding or have an alternate.

So to summarise, if you see a "TEMPO" with weather below your alternate minima, you must have an alternate or carry 60 minutes holding fuel. That way you can wait out the TEMPOrary patch of bad weather.

If you see "INTER" with weather below your alternate minima you must have an alternate or carry 30 minutes holding fuel. That way you can hold and wait out the INTERmittent intervals of bad weather.

The presence of Cbs in the TAF do not necessarily mean you need an alternate or holding fuel unless their bases and sky coverage are below the alternate minima. Remember, the cloud coverages must be combined when determining the sky cover:

FEW + FEW = SCT
FEW + SCT = BKN
SCT + SCT = BKN or OVC

Anything more than SCT below the alternate minima will mean you need an alternate or the relevant holding if the conditions were contained in an INTER or a TEMPO.

I assume you mean you are making a departure call as you depart Longreach (YLRE). It's a non-towered aerodrome so you would make the departure call on Longreach CTAF and the call would contain the Location, Aircraft type and callsign with your position and intentions.

It's your pressure altitude. With 1013 set on the subscale, the altimeter is reading your altitude above the 1013 pressure level. 1013 is the sea level pressure in ISA so your altimeter is reading your altitude above sea level in the standard atmosphere, in other words, your pressure altitude.

Cheers,

Rich

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: review questions set 2

Remember also that there is an important difference between the terms 'broadcast' and 'report'. A broadcast is not directed to any particular station - by definition it is 'cast abroard' whereas a report is directed to a particular ground station. It is therefore impossible to make a report on a CTAF frequency. If the question asks for the frequency to use for a departure report that is quite different to the frequency to use for a broadcast.

• Richard

Hey Rossy,

After re-reading my post on the exam questions I noticed an ambiguity with reference to the discussion of Cb and TS, TEMPOs and INTERs. I have since edited that section of the post to make the point a bit clearer.

Cheers,

Rich

• rossy
  • Topic Author

first of all, a big thanks to you Rich for taking the time to get back to me and give me a hand so soon to recieving my message on here. Was great to see a reply so soon after feeling a bit down after my failure on friday. You certainly lifted my spirits.

CAR 14O answers my question in plain english, and i even had the heading highlighted in my copy of the CAR...

ENR 1.1 57.2.5 gives me the answer to my question on the inter and tempo. Up until now i really only thought that it applied if it also stated somethinbg which was going to affect 'my' flight. But in here it says whenever the forecast is endorsed with either inter or tempo the 30 or 60 min hold applies. In the question i had listed above, i would not need to suply an altn would i, just 60min holding OR an Altn would have been the correct answer. No altn req as the specific details werent listed. Is this right?

With regards to the altimeter, that must have been the answer i got to after thinking about it for a while as i didnt get it on my kdr. Thanks for explaining it though.

Thanks bob for your input on the broadcast and report section, i'll have to go back over those things in my re study for fridays exam. I can find enfo in GEN 3.4 and also ENR 1.1 as well as your book. Anywhere else i should look?

Thank you both very much for all your help this far.

• Richard

Hi Rossy,

Some confusion has arisen here and that's my fault I'm afraid.

The presence of a TEMPO or an INTER do not automatically mean you need to plan for an alternate or carry holding fuel - the conditions in the TEMPO or INTER still need to be bad enough to require an alternate.

In other words, the TEMPO or INTER conditions must be worse than those values described in ENR 1.1.57.2.1.

As for the Cb, their presence in the TAF would not automatically make you require an alternate (unlike TS which would require an alternate or holding). Also unlike what I first mentioned in my post, they would have to mention the base of the CB in the TAF. Is it possible you missed that? Can you remember any more specifics that might help clear this up?

Cheers,

Rich

EDIT: I have also corrected my original post

• rossy
  • Topic Author

oh ok then. It only said that there was a forecast that contained 'tempo SCT CB'
which of the following apply.
a no req
b altn req
c 30 min hold req
d 60 min hold req

or something to that effect. Since thre was bugger all detail i just chose no hold or altn req im pretty sure?

Had it contained tempo and had cloud base at a certain low level or something i would have been anle to answer it correctly as i know the altn req's etc

• Richard

Hi Rossy,

As the question stands it doesn't make much sense. I've had a chat with Bob about it as well and he agrees that TEMPO SCT CB is simply not enough information. They should have given some kind of cloud base and if they didn't, SCT still isn't enough cloud cover to require an alternate or holding. It would have to be more than SCT below the alternate minima. The presence of CB doesn't indicate a need for an alternate or holding (compare that to TS which definitely does indicate that).

Apart from that, even if there were conditions below the alternate minima, both (b) and (d) would be correct answers since you can have either an alternate or holding fuel.

One thing Bob suggested: is it possible that alternates turned up on your KDR not because of this question but because of another one and it was that question you got wrong?

Cheers,

Rich

• rossy
  • Topic Author

Exactly my thought when reading this answer so thats why i was confused.

This KDR code only corresponds to one question that i can recall getting. I cant remember any other questions relating to 2.8.7.3

The TEMPO SCT CB with no other info on cloud base or anything i can be 99% sure of. Shame i cant remember or even find out the exact wording. I thought it was very ambiguous. Perhaps someone else has had the question and can shed some light. I guess theres a chance that i missed something but i remember being amazed at how little info as contained in the question and pondered exactly what they wanted me to base my decision on?

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds