Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Q15 - Exercise 2.3 (pg 139)

• Anton
  • Topic Author

Anton created the topic: Q15 - Exercise 2.3 (pg 139)

Hi, at the risk of making a schoolboy error, I just wanted to understand the answer a particular question. Q15 - Exercise 2.3 (pg 139) IREX BOOK (May 2015)

I am sure I am missing something but I thought the answer would be 30nm because AIP ENR 1.1 para (19.5.1(b)) talks about a maximum range of 30nm when using NDB's for position fixing. The answer given in the book (pg 143) is 48nm. I would have thought this is ok for VOR's but not NDB's.

Hope this makes sense. Sorry for not retyping the question but its quite long.

Anton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Q15 - Exercise 2.3 (pg 139)

The 30nm limit applies to the case where you are using only NDBs to get a positive fix. In the case described in this question, you are using the NDB for track guidance only, you are not trying to get a positive fix. You can use the NDB for track guidance as long as you are within the rated coverage. In this case you could not claim that you had a positive fix - that's different to track guidance.

Bob

• Anton
  • Topic Author

Anton replied the topic: Q15 - Exercise 2.3 (pg 139)

Thanks Bob, well explained. Clear as mud now

Much appreciated

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds