Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Tips for the PPL exam

• Thank you received: 3

HPOUND created the topic: Tips for the PPL exam

Passed my PPL theory exam last week.... 95%! Pretty happy with that! In the spirit of giving back, for those embarking on PPL theory study I have a few suggestions:

(1) Know your resources

Become familiar with
* ERSA (buy your own copy)
* AIP (buy your own copy)
* CAOs & CARs (borrow from your flight school)
* VFR Guide (buy/print your own copy)

Read the VFR Guide so you know what it contains, but don't stop there. The VFRG will reference the official docs and it's definitely worth taking the time to locate the particular provisions in the official document during your study. So if you're studying separation minima, by all means find the answer in the VFRG, but then go find in the answer in the AIP. If you're thinking through requirements for an alternate or some specific arrangement relating to carriage of pax, know where to go for the detailed, specific information which will not necessarily be covered in the VFRG. You will get some really specific questions in the exam - don't be caught out.

The VFRG is just a guide - someone else's summarisation of the ERSA, AIP etc. You're going to be a better pilot if you're across the ERSA, AIP/other regs and don't need to rely on an unofficial summarisation.

In the ERA, AIP and VFRG, highlight important sections and tag materials so you can find important things quickly.

(2) Practice, practice, practice

Do all the practice questions you can get your hands on. I'd recommend a couple of different sources for questions (ie. don't use practice questions only from the one provider). I decided against doing a theory course and used self-study materials only, including the Bob Tait PPL book and the Dyson-Holland PPL Sample Exam Set. The questions in the Bob Tait book are good indicators of the style and difficulty of the questions in the actual exam. The Dyson-Holland questions, however, were more difficult but this is what makes them a very good study resource - the increased question difficulty really forces you to know your stuff.

Be sure to spend ~3 hours going back over the BAK/RPL theory book - this is foundation knowledge and you can expect basic aero knowledge questions on the PPL exam: Forces on an aircraft in flight, coefficient of lift, L/D ratio, impact of load factor on stall speed, headwinds/tailwinds, engines etc.

(3) Knock your theory over early

Don't leave the theory until the last minute. Study up, get it out of the way, and then concentrate on the flying (and using the theory).

(4) Use time wisely

You have 3 hours and 30 mins, that's 210 mins, to complete the exam. Most questions are worth 1 mark and there will be a few worth 2 marks for a total of 60 marks. This means you can expect ~55 questions. Your "earn rate" therefore needs to be one mark every 3.5 minutes (210 mins / 60 marks). However, many questions will not take nearly this long - they're the sort of questions where you either know the answer or you don't. Time saved on these questions can be used on some of the more difficult questions (or to look up details in one of the allowed resources).

On a piece of scratch paper, keep a note of those questions where you are not sure of your answer. Once you've finished the first run through the exam, you can then go back to these particular questions. If you're confident of an answer the first time around, I would not suggest going back to it (your first answer is probably your best).

With 210 minutes, time will not be an issue (if you find you're short of time, you haven't studied nearly enough). Expect to complete the exam (first pass) in about 120 minutes, leaving plenty of time to review your calcs, check questions where you're not sure and then relax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Tips for the PPL exam

Congratulations HPOUND. That's a fantastic result. I'm sure your wise council will be appreciated by and benefit the many who read it. I'm sure you are the kind of person who will thoroughly enjoy the flying training also.

Have fun

Bob

HPOUND replied the topic: Tips for the PPL exam

Thanks, Bob! I passed my PPL flight test a few days ago. Now just need to cool my heels (or wings) until CASA processes my licence. Already looking forward to some cross-country flying and weekends away.

Beyond that, I'm trying to decide what's next. Maybe multi engine initial to set the stage for MECIR? Probably will not fly twins much at all, but could be worthwhile spending a bit extra $ on twin training just to have the option. Or maybe an aerobatic endorsement (a pilot friend said this is probably the best way to improve flying skills). I'm just flying for fun... no intention to ever try to find work (too old for that).

Appreciate any advice from those more experienced.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Tips for the PPL exam

I have a feeling that you would enjoy the aerobatic rating more.

• Nav

Nav replied the topic: Tips for the PPL exam

Thanks for sharing Hpound.

I'm curious, did you come across any questions that required numerical answers?

Yes. I am estimating around 10% (~5 questions) require entry of a number. They may have related to such things as heading (from A to B ), weight (how much can be added), ground speed (given wind) and time (to destination), for example. I got all these questions right, so accurate and logical calculations will win the day.

To prepare for these questions, do as many practice problems as you can.... practice, practice, practice The questions in the Bob Tait book are a good guide of the difficulty you can expect. When doing questions with numeric answers, cover up the answer options and calculate from scratch... then look for one of the options which matches. Consider also using the Dyson-Holland practice questions - they are way more difficult than the questions I encountered in the exam and thus are great practice.

• Nav

Nav replied the topic: Tips for the PPL exam

Cheers, and congrats on the pass! :)

• suewm001

suewm001 replied the topic: Tips for the PPL exam

From the permitted material list, it says I need to have some WACs and the PCA but then I saw the extract from the VFR Day Syllabus Guide which will be provided. So do I need to buy my own maps?

You do not need your own maps.

While the exam is entirely online, you will require a printed "training and exam workbook" which contains the WACs and PCA needed in the exam. Check with your school/exam venue whether they provide the workbook or whether you need to buy it in advance. You can access a PDF version from there CASA website here .

• suewm001

suewm001 replied the topic: Tips for the PPL exam

Thx mate.
Wht about the answers tht require using the declared density or LMT charts?
You know the curve could end up having some discrepancy to individuals,say 100-200ft or 1-2mins late or early,do they accept type in answers?

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds