Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Downdraughts

• Nathanchan
  • Topic Author

Nathanchan created the topic: Downdraughts

Sir when I did met he pexo exam I had a question asking exposure to downdraughts where should you fly?.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Downdraughts

You probably need more detail as to the situation in which the downdraft is encountered. Is it a thunderstorm or is it associated with mountain wave activity. If it is near the surface it will probably also be associated with wind shear. I think the Manual of Meteorology says that thunderstorm downdrafts can have a significant effect up to 10 km from the storm cell.

• Nathanchan
  • Topic Author

Nathanchan replied the topic: Downdraughts

Well the question is based on thunderstorms.

• Nathanchan
  • Topic Author

Apologies, it says in the refrence that the effect can be up to 20km or approx 11nm.

• Nathanchan
  • Topic Author

Nathanchan replied the topic: microburst

I also have another question to ask you about microburst. If you are witnin the vicinity of a t/s, what will you experience :
a.microburst
b.low level windshear
And another question is based on the same thing but now it's asking ,what will you experience if you are on final approach:
a.microburst
b.low level windshear

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: microburst

Low level wind shear would be the answer for microburst activity, especially if the final approach takes you through the microburst. There will be an initial increase in IAS accompanied by a descent below the desired approach path. That will be quickly followed by a drastic decrease in IAS with a continued descent below the approach path. It' hard to imagine how a VFR pilot would be making an approach beneath an active thunderstorm.

• Nathanchan
  • Topic Author

How about if the question is asking if the downdraft is associated with mountain activity

• Nathanchan
  • Topic Author

Sir I've got another question refer figure49 Vfr day booklet
The question is asking a cell of air 'm' has become trapped over the great Australian bright . Resultant action of this cell provides
Can't remember what were the options could you give an explanation

• Nathanchan
  • Topic Author

Nathanchan replied the topic: microburst

How about if the question is asking if the downdraughts is associated with mountain activity

• Nathanchan
  • Topic Author

Nathanchan replied the topic: Great Australian bright

Sir I've got another question refer to figure 49 Vfr day it's asking A cell of air 'm" has become trapped over the great Australian bright. Resultant action of this cell provides
Can't remember what were the options could you give me a explanation this was one of the questions I had when I sat the pexo exams

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds