Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Well Bob you asked for an introduction - look out!

• gregk
  • Topic Author

gregk created the topic: Well Bob you asked for an introduction - look out!

My name is Greg, but some call me "Grogery" - aviation is cruel isn't it. I would explain it but it is another yarn, and you would be better asking Tom Waterhouse Smith and Junior Smith of the "RNAC Smith family on Safari" why "Grogery", and it is not what you think.

Learn't to fly at the Aero Club of Broken Hill in 1980 with a mad norwegian, who was a great fella and pilot/CFI too, by the name of Bernard Fjelde. A great memory and lesson for those who may care to listen, was when Bernard made me walk the full length of a bush strip before taking off. As you could imagine, me as a 19 year old thought he was a bit delusional at the time, however on a flight some years later the lesson came flowing back when I struck some fencing wire on a bush strip. All of a sudden the reason became very real and the lesson was learn't, shame i didn't learn it first time round, and luckily i live to fly another day, so - never assume anything, listen to the wise and don't underestimate the wisdom, there is always something to learn from those who have done it before you. In fact at the clubs 75th Anniversary last October, which Bernard came back to, we found his last Steep turns briefing, still in chalk on the briefing room blackboard in the club, and i was the student. It's been there for 30 odd years. Great memories!

I flew constantly up to 1989 and began CPL studies with the Dyson Holland kits, fell in love and never finished it. Then it was time for family and job to pay some bills. Now family has grown up and I am back, as big a tragic for flying as ever, strange disease which I and most others with it struggle to explain it seems. I am using Bob's CPL as a refresher and who knows may even sit for the licence and do an instructors rating, no age limit they tell me! Why you may ask, a great man once said - because it is good for you :laugh:

These days I have returned to fly with the Royal Newcastle Aero Club (RNAC) and enjoy the friendly atmosphere and the odd safari with other members and a great crew of permanent and honorary instructors as well as a great modern fleet of aircraft from RAA to GA.

At present I am having a pretty exciting dabble with a little biplane they call the ferrari of the sky! The Pitts Special. As a kid in the 70's I remember watching a little bloke called Chris Sperou from Adelaide, throw his little red S1 Pitts around the airshows in Broken Hill and since then always harboured the ambition to try for myself. As it happens the wheel has turned full circle and RNAC has a Special, and a CFI that can fly one or two of the Pitts species. This CFI would go by the name of Phil Unicomb but I prefer to call him Captain Phil ! Only because he deserves it, and commands a maritime vessel in his time off these days. I am having a fantastic time flying an aeroplane that does exactly what you make it do when you tell it to, and consider myself very privileged to have Captain Phil up front as a partner in crime. A great instructor and the patience of some biblical figure.

So there ya have it, a little bit about me. Phil says g'day by the way Bob and talks fondly of the comeraderie among the Aerobatic fraternity. My thanks for the training mateials and the pragmatic way of explaining it. 4 exams passed first time round out of 7 to date. Carry on, many thanks.

GregK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Well Bob you asked for an introduction - look out!

Gidday Greg
Welcome to the forums mate. You obviously have a real passion for aviation and it's a pleasure to have you with us. I'm especially happy to see that you have become a 'G junkie' as well. The Pitts is surely a delight to fly and you wont find anyone more capable than Phil Unicomb to fly it with. I had a Pitts S1, VH-SIE for over ten years and we had some great times flying competition in the days when the Pitts was the 'top of the tree' as far as aerobatic aeroplanes are concerned.

Things sure have changed since then. Phil was a regular at the nationals in those days, please give him my regards.
Keep having fun. How about some nice pics of you and the Pitts?
Bob
Attachments:

• gregk
  • Topic Author

gregk replied the topic: Well Bob you asked for an introduction - look out!

Well here you go Bob. Miss Ribbons is her "name" when everything is going well. Teaching me everything she knows at the moment!
Attachments:

• gregk
  • Topic Author

Lets try again MIss Ribbons Take 2
Attachments:

AH! The dear old S2. Many don't realise how much bigger it is to the S1. I reckon the S1 is actually easier to fly........

• gregk
  • Topic Author

Hey Bob, thanks, S2 more difficult?

Penny for your thoughts here Bob, i am still struggling with the landings and visibility, but gradually getting there. Ok upper air work though.

Yes, the visibility in an S2 is much worse than in the S1. In fact, the instructor can see even less than the student - especially on late final. I used to have interesting moments flying in an S2 with students at Archerfield especially when we were stuck behind a Tomahawk on a two mile final!

I'm sure Phil will get you organised in the S2. Many students tended to fixate on only one side [usually the left] on landing.

Keep having fun........

• mwk89

mwk89 replied the topic: Well Bob you asked for an introduction - look out!

That Pitts looks like some fun to fly! Whats the overall weight of one of these Pitts ?

• gregk
  • Topic Author

Off top of head, BEW round 467kg for S2 i think, round 700 Max. Lot of fun!

My Pitts was just under 400kg BEW. With 200hp and a few 'mods' that squeezed a few bit more power out of it, it was great performer. Many people don't realise just how much smaller an S1 is.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds