Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New onboard

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter created the topic: New onboard

Gooday all,

As my username might have indicate, My name's Andy. I'm a South African by birth, but now a permanent resident of Australia and will become a citizen in about a year or so.

My in-a-nutshell aviation background is as follows, been flying for about 13 years. I have approx. 5000 hrs total time, done about 2000 hrs instruction. Been fortunate enough to fly the Herc (C-130). I was offered the opportunity by my company at the time to do either the C-130 conversion or the 737-200......if I'd used my head I'd have done the 737 :) but my heart got the better of me, and I opted for the Herc......financially not that smart, but man the old girl (herc) just tugged at my boyhood fantasies too hard.

I've flown in most of the countries on the African continent - oddly enough though never went to Nigeria, though most people that have worked there tell me I didn't miss much! Otherwise most of my flying was done in the middle east for ISAF (International Security and Assistance Forces) - essentially an airlift operation for the AU/ US/EU aka allied nations.

I now have to convert my ATP to Australian - I'm too old to do all this far away from home stuff :P so it's back to the books. Let's hope this old dog can still learn a few new tricks! Got my Bob Tait online books - more or less finished going through the Human Factors, currently busy with the Airlaw....fun and games hehe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: New onboard

Gidday Andy

Great to have you on board. Your experience in SA would be the envy of many an Australian pilot. Hope you stay tuned and if you can add anything [as I'm sure you can] to the posts, please feel free to contribute. We get a steady stream of enquiries from overseas pilots wishing to 'Australianise" their licence. At the moment we don't offer any ATPL subjects but we are working on at least providing ATPL Air Law and Human Factors as in-house courses. These are the two subjects that overseas pilots must pass along with the Australian Instrument Rating exam [IREX].

Keep having fun!!

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds