Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Glider pilot

• cathZBY
  • Topic Author

cathZBY created the topic: Glider pilot

Hi all

Decided to pursue aviation as a mid life career change. Was an engineer (telecommunications). In my mid 40's I'm probably crazy. B)

I've been gliding since 1986 and got about 2000 hours of gliding. I fly competitions when I can and have a special interest in coaching Juniors. I'm currently RTO/S (Regional Technical Officer/Sports = State Coach) for SA. My two sons (15 and 17) fly gliders and the older one also has a GFPT flying a Super Cub.

The glider pictured in my profile is my Nimbus 4DM. 2 seater, 26.5m wingspan, 60:1 glider and self launch with a rotax two stroke engine that retracts completely. Been instructing in gliders for 23 years and also hold a maintenance authority.

I have 4 other gliders, 3 are vintage including the ES52 Kookaburra (background of that photo but hard to see) built here in Australia which I still use regularly to help the club (Adelaide Uni) when they need an extra two seater.

Started power flying in 1994. used to have a share in a Grumman Traveler. Fly a Pawnee towing gliders. Flown Cirrus (glider and SR22 turbo), 182 RG, DA40D + lots of others. Recently got an RaAus licence too and working on getting my instructor rating transferred.

Quite enjoying the CPL journey but finding some differences in terminology get me from time to time so I have to be careful. Lucky to have a friend who is keen for me to fly his PC12 once I finish CPL, IREX, MECIR. Going to be busy. But only two exams to go to finish CPL.

Interested in getting an instructor rating in GA and aerobatics too.

Nice to meet you all

Cath

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Glider pilot

Hello Cath

Welcome to the forums. I've always admired glider pilots for their in-depth knowledge of micro meteorology. I often use gliding scenarios to make a point in both Aerodynamics and Meterology classes. I had the pleasure of going for a fly in a Kookaburra with an ex student at an airshow once. I've also had a go in a Blanick. You seem to have access to lots of different aircraft types. The PC 12 sounds like a real buzz. I had a brief fly of one that belongs to a mate of mine. Just like a mini airliner. All the best with your study for CPL and IREX, I'm sure you will achieve your goals. Please don't be shy when it comes to asking for help or clarification as you progress. Keep in touch, we're all interested.

Cheers

Bob

• cathZBY
  • Topic Author

cathZBY replied the topic: Glider pilot

Thanks Bob

Loved MET although the focus is completely different. Showed my power instructor some photos I took on one day at the Nationals in January of shear wave. This meant in some areas thermals were depressed and reinforced in others so you had to pick your track carefully. But I had to explain shear wave because only mountain waves seem to be covered in the MET syllabus. I've been fortunately enough to represent Australia in NZ and fly their mountain wave to 21,500' Fantastic fun.

We put a lot more emphasis on instability and temperature/height diagrams.

Here's my Kooka about to winch launch on a first solo for a young cadet.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds