Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Down with everything

• Down with everything
  • Topic Author

Down with everything created the topic: Down with everything

Hi there I'm new to the forum. The words Down with everything was a motif from a still living Spitfire pilots fighter plane. He is the last surviving Australian Spitfire pilot and just turned 90yrs old. He was 19 when in charge of this wonderful machine. He gave me permission to use his words . An amazing part of history.

Enjoy and SAFFA (safe and accurate flying always)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Down with everything

That's very interesting. I must admit, we were wondering where such a forum name came from. What a different world those young men experienced. Imagine, at the age of 19, not only flying a Spitfire, but flying a Spitfire in combat with other pilots intent on killing you! You should take every opportunity to talk with this gentleman and pass his stories down to the present generation. I'd love to be able to meet with him myself.

All the best with your flying.......

Bob

• Down with everything
  • Topic Author

Down with everything replied the topic: Re: Down with everything

Bob .
This gentlemen now is just having the effects of dementia creep into his life although he still recalls his flying instructors antics and teachings. In the first 6 months of flying training he performed 500 flt hrs.
I take as many young people as I can to meet with him and his amazing wife . He has had a story written on his flying which finished with 25000 hrs and never bent an aeroplane , ( which was not exactly true ) but hell sounds cool.
At this stage no one can actually find that story?
When your up around Bob Harris country again your visit may be a possibility . Don't leave it to long though if you know what I mean.
Regards
DWE

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds