Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

UAV/UAS Controller's license

• michaelv
  • Topic Author

michaelv created the topic: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Greetings fellow aviators!

My name is Michael. For the last 12 months I have been flying multi-rotors. I am now in the position to enter the commercial space, with the intention of providing a variety of low aerial photographic and video services. To pursue this passion commercially I am about to undertake self-study for both the the BAK and PPL theory exams, which are required for a UAV Controller's license.

I am very interested to hear from people that have, or are considering obtaining a UAV Controller's license.

Looking forward to making new friends here!

Michael:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Gidday Michael

Welcome to the forums. The UAV industry certainly is an exciting and fast growing sector of Australian aviation. I have often felt privileged to have witnessed so the many of the changes in aviation that have occurred since I began flying half a century ago. The appearance of UAVs is certainly one of the most interesting. It's clear that CASA has been grappling with the challenge of regulating and accommodating the ever growing UAV sector.

We are getting many enquiries from prospective UAV operators for material to help them meet the CASA requirement for a pass in the PPL examination. I must admit that this requirement leaves me speechless! The PPL syllabus has absolutely nothing in common with the knowledge and skills required for operating a UAV. The good news is that CASA are currently working on producing a syllabus of training for commercial UAV operators that we hope will specify requirements that are relevant to the needs of the UAV industry. We are watching this with great interest, because we are keen to become involved in producing courses based on the CASA syllabus.

Good luck with your self study of the BAK and PPL theory and remember that if you run into any problem areas we are always here to help. I only wish that you could spend your time and energy studying material that would be of some use to you in your chosen field.

Once again - welcome.

• michaelv
  • Topic Author

michaelv replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your warm welcome and insight into the current state of UAV certification.

I look forward to getting my studies underway and moving forward with this fast emerging and exciting industry.

Regards,

Michael.

Michael

I've been trying to track down a national body that represents the UAV movement to the government. Is there such a body?

Bob

• michaelv
  • Topic Author

michaelv replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Bob,

I am currently unaware of a UAV national body, however this -- and its author -- may be of interest to you.

www.gopetition.com/petitions/fpv-first-p...aircraft-system.html

Regards,

Michael

• mt.matt

mt.matt replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi all,
I am an aerial surveyor and the company I work for have recently purchased some drones from NZ and I am front line to start flying them for work in addition to operating the normal cameras in our other aircraft.

I am presently studying Bob Tait's BAK and PPL books and looking down the barrel of a PPL exam in 3 weeks. So much to learn and so much to remember for one exam. Especially when I'll just be flying drones and landing via parachute and taking off by throwing the UAV!

Interesting times ahead for us in this field.
Good luck.

Matt

Matt

I've sent you a private message on this one.

Bob

• mt.matt

mt.matt replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Thanks for the reply Bob!

Yes you can pass on this thread to CASA by all means.
I agree it is simply crazy what CASA are stipulating. In the absence of any other course of administration, they fall back on the laziest option available. Or so it seems.
But anyway, I can't complain as my situation is rather unique. In early August I broke my foot and since then I haven't been able to work in an aircraft (should be back in late november though). I have always wanted to be a pilot and its funny how someone that has grounded me has reignited a passion to take to the skies. My PPL exam (which work are paying for) may be a step to my ATPL anyway. But at 34, a serious stomach op from younger days and a lack of $100,000 forming a barrier, I'm not sure how far I will make it in reality.
So reading your books over these last couch bound few months have been something to keep me occupied mentally and since I work in aviation, also extremely interesting. I want to fly planes either at a PPL level or above at some point in my life so its not truly wasted time.
Yet I agree with your stanch and the more I read the closer I get to realising how ludicrous it is to be in this position simply because my company want me to get the exam done before they change the regulations and CASA, a federal level organisation, has no idea what to do with me and others, so do nothing?
Any help or info or support you need from me, I'll be happy to help.

Regards,
Matt

• airmap3d

airmap3d replied the topic: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi Micheal,

I just stumbled across your post while surfing the net and thought I might respond.

Seeing that you posted this a few months ago you may have already figured out the following for yourself...

To operate a UAV commercially within Australian airspace not only do you need a Controllers Certificate but you also need an Operators Certificate. The CC is a walk in the park compared to the OC! The OC will also cost you several thousand dollars, CASA estimate $7000-$8000 but this depends a lot on the complexity of what you are intending on doing. Insurance is also a big one with most PL annual premiums costing well into the thousands. It is an incredibly daunting and expensive process but I guess if you persevere one would hope that the rewards will be waiting for you at the end. A lot of this information can be found on CASA's website.

I know all of this as I am just about to submit my application for an OC. It has taken me months (and months) of work to get it prepared and I am expecting to get it kicked back by CASA possibly more than once until I finally gain their approval.

I am starting an aerial surveying company utilising UAS as the data capture platform. I am a qualified surveyor with a very keen interest in aviation so once these UAV's started popping up here and there I decided to give it a crack. If I knew back then what I know now, I potentially wouldn't have bothered. It has been a massive undertaking and I have invested close to $100k in the business so far, a business that is currently incapable of making any money!! Hopefully I can gain CASA approval sooner rather than later!

Hopefully this doesn't scare you off but I just think that it is important that people know the full extent of what they may be getting into, as I certainly didn't! If you would like to ask me any questions regarding the whole process, feel free, although a lot of the information and documents I have developed will not be released as they are the backbone of my company. My website is www.airmap3d.com if you wanted to have a look.

Good luck, I hope it is all going well so far.

Matt.

• ecomlocations

ecomlocations replied the topic: Re: UAV/UAS Controller's license

Hi All,

One of the associations all UAV controllers and OC holders should join is the Association for Unmanned vehicle Systems Australia. australia.auvsi.org/Home

There is a conference in association with the Avalon Airshow this Feb. Anyone in the business of UAV's should not miss this opportunity.

I too am going for my controllers license as well as my operators license and plan to provide Aerial Services within the film and Tv industry. I have my location management company and UAV's will be an added service, which I have been wanting to do for a few years now. www.ecomlocations.com

Give me a buzz if you sign up to AUVSI and plan to go to the conference.

Cheers

Luke

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds