Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Pass

• Aaron B
  • Topic Author

Aaron B created the topic: IREX Pass

Hi Bob and all,

Sat the IREX for the third time today and walked out with 88% which I was extremely happy with. Thanks for all the material from the book to the exam prep. It certainly is my pick for the best Aviation theory around.

Blue skies and tailwinds,

Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Pass

Congratulations Aaron. That's a great mark as well. I'm so glad you found the books and practice exams helpful. Enjoy your flying now - I'm sure you will.

Bob

• benbouch@gmail.com

benbouch@gmail.com replied the topic: IREX Pass

Hi Aaron.
Sitting tomorrow. Any last curveballs you've noticed during you iterations through the exam? Any pointers and gotchas appreciated.
thanks.
B

• Aaron B
  • Topic Author

Aaron B replied the topic: IREX Pass

Hi B,

Not really, I can’t tell you too much, but what is in Bobs book is the guts of the exam. But as you probably know, CASA like to trick you so make sure you read each question carefully

Aaron

• Aaron B
  • Topic Author

Oh also make sure you know your LSALT tolerances

• benbouch@gmail.com

Thanks buddy... congrats on the exam and good luck on the flight.

• Caravanpilot208

Caravanpilot208 replied the topic: IREX Pass

hey guys congrats just want to ask what questions you got and what to study and if the bobtait book is enough?

• benbouch@gmail.com

Good enough, yes, but know your stuff.
Just sat with a 95, but when I hit submit I was not confident. They write a lot of the questions to make you question yourself. Here is a list of gotchas.
1. Freezing levels: know where the worse of the icing is. Remember OZY does not have anti ice nor O2 so it limits where it can cruise.
2. It will give you a scenario with optional alternate, and give you a detail like one of your VHF radios are broken, leading you to think it will be looking for the rule for lighting at alternates where with only one VHF and one HF, you need to add 30 mins. In my case the TAF required an Alt, but the TTF did not.. so a lot of the details in the question were irrelevant.. on top, you need to calculate fuel required. So: Be confident in WHY you do or do not need an alternate.
3. Visual departure or arrival. Understand and know where it is in AIP.
4. LSALT calculation: If you know the AIP reference, just use it while you work.. Bob gave us a pile of examples.
5. Origional list required us only to have ERC Low 1,2 and 3,4.. get them all. Low 6 was required for me.
6. IFR recency questions: know the references as not everything is in the extract. Approaches and if single pilot IFR what else you need.
7. MDA with a forecast QNH, and with an area QNH.
8. LSALT terrain clearance, Bob covers it, pay attention.

I can't give you the questions per say, but these were the gotchas and my recommended areas to study. My sole source was this blog and, the prep book and the source material.. if you know where the info is in the AIP/ERSA, then most of the time you can go remind yourself and apply what it say.
good luck.
B

• Aaron B
  • Topic Author

I got the same question as pointed out in number 2, didn’t show up on my KDRs so I assume I got it correct. But did get the curveball of “one of your VHF radios is unserviceable”

• Caravanpilot208

Caravanpilot208 replied the topic: IREX Pass

What about NDBs , do u remember any NDB questions?

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds