Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CHUF exam

• Harrys
  • Topic Author

Harrys created the topic: CHUF exam

Hey,

I just completed my human performance exam, 15mins ago. There were topics in the exam which were not covered within the text book at all (such as Saccade). I did not pass the exam because of a few reason, mainly the wording of the threat and error management but if the textbook had sufficient information for me to study, i would have achieved the 70% pass mark. The Threat and Error section of the textbook is no where near good enough to be confident to pass the exam. Both me and my friend are going through the subjects together and have both seen the same problems as well as a few other students at my flying school.

This is not the only time i have failed exam because of this. Aircraft Performance as well as a few others were also lacking information that was used in the exam. Again only failing by 1 or 2 marks.

Aviation Theory Centre books offer a much more indepth read about the threat and error management section of the exam.

Just letting you know, the human factors book does not cover some topics that are presented in the exam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: CHUF exam

Thanks Harrys

Every theory provider in Australia is having trouble with the TEM section of Human Performance. I note that you have studied Aviation Theory Centre's material and still failed, so it would appear that they are also providing insufficient material in that area.

Also you will find extra material on TEM at CASA's web site at:
agencysearch.australia.gov.au/search/sea...caap+tem&meta_Z_and=

We are constantly working on the content of the book, especially the threat and error management section and we very much appreciate your feed-back. By the way, you will find saccades mentioned on page 4.6 of the book fifth paragraph, first line. Also page 4.7 fourth star item.

This is the first time I've had any comment on the content of the Performance book, so I'd be very interested in any specific areas which you found gave inadequate coverage.

Thanks for your feed-back. It is much appreciated.

• Capt. BULA

Capt. BULA replied the topic: Re: CHUF exam

Bula Bob,

As you might have already known that English is my second language. I have been using your books since day 1. It has been really helpful. I have asked guys who are now captains in major airlines on what books to study for HUF in ATPL's...they have all said the same thing "Uncle Bob" ;) . They all went through AFT with your books in the Sunshine Coast. As for CPL HUF, I am proud to say that i was being spoon fed with the wealth of information that was suffice for me to pass first go. I am not trying to say or boast that I have a high level of IQ (which I don't have), its just the matter of answering of what is asked and not answering on what you know! B) !!! I again, just want to thank you Mr Tait for the time you have used to write this books. Doing the CPL theory exam is like a race. Its not about winning the race, its about completing it on time! I believe that failing an exam doesn't mean anything. Doing the exam again and learning from your mistakes will make you a safer pilot in future!! ;)

Keep Up The Good work Bob! :lol:

• Rhazeltine

Rhazeltine replied the topic: Re: CHUF exam

I sat my exam today and just passed. I think the text is fine and covers the required information. I think the problem with any of this stuff is that the questions don't necessarily lead to a definitive answer. with PERF and NAV etc there is logic. With this stuff there is common sense but not necessarily logic. I answered a few questions based on what I would do assessing a threat, even though an error had already occurred. I think Bob is right, hard to give a definitive set of sample questions and all texts would struggle.

That said...pig of a subject and I am glad it's over. Bring on MET.

CHEERS

Richard..

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: CHUF exam

Actually Richard and I are planning to go to Canberra this month to have a 'face-to-face' discussion with CASA concerning the content of the TEM syllabus and the nature of the questions being asked. Of course we wont be bringing home any actual CASA questions, but I'm hoping we can at least get some direction on what we are supposed to teach.

As I said to a friend a while ago, reading TEM is like trying to grab hold of smoke. There's just nothing there!

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Re: CHUF exam

I passed using a combination of Bob's book and the CASA TEM downloads, I only got 78% and most of my incorrect answers were TEM. Bob, I hope your visit to Canberra gets them to be clearer about TEM because it is confusing.
They do qualify all their questions in the exam by saying, "Using the TEM model, what is the threat?" So they do have a model they would like us to use to identify the threat, But I felt there was a lot of contradictions in the material available from CASA.

• Shaun Watkin

Shaun Watkin replied the topic: Re: CHUF exam

Harrys, to me it sounds like you are finding reasons as to why your failing other than your study/ preparation was not good enough! Sorry to be frank but sometimes these things happen. I know first hand how disapointing it can be failing an exam. Just like many others who dont perpare themsleves.

I studied CHUF using just Bobs' text. Passed first time with a 80% mark. The next day went and sat ATPL HUF and passed with a 92%. I havent picked up an aviation text or flown for well over 5 years. I also know many other people who passed first time with credible results.

Performance I also done very well. Im going to finish by saying - get a grip, move on, and if your going to succeed in aviation start by getting used to the term "to be tenacious".

Also remember, anything that is worth doing is never easy. Enjoy the journey.

• Tristan.11

Tristan.11 replied the topic: Re: CHUF exam

Shaun, if you haven't studied or flown for 5 years you wouldn't have encountered TEM in the HUF exams, as they've only implemented this recently....
I partially agree with harrys here on this one but Bob hit it right on the head by saying "TEM is like trying to grab hold of smoke"
The Human factors side of the book covers that part of the exam quite well, however when it comes to TEM your scratching your head on what to actually study for the exam as the answers for the exams are very fine as to what the correct one is, and common sense tells you to pick one answer but the "CASA Syllabus"would lead you to pick another...Even after reading all of CAAP 5.59 and the syllabus there's a fine line between common sense and the right answer.
Bob, I hope the "Face-to-Face" discussion goes great, HUF was my last exam, and in my opinion the most difficult due to the TEM.
CASA does really need to improve their exams and maybe even provide better exam feedback like they do in uni (Give the whole marked exam paper back on request), not just KDR's
I've studied from Dyson & Holland, ACT, and Bob's books and overall the easiest to learn from were Bob's, With positives and negatives to both.
Also Bob, the Human Performance book is the only book without descriptive answers to the questions, why did you choose to do this? I really liked how all your other books provided direct feedback in the answers page to why those answers were right!

• Jonno Zilber

Jonno Zilber replied the topic: Re: CHUF exam

Sure, the texts don't have much information on TEM but that's because there's just not much to say! It could be written in less than two pages... with examples and diagrams!

I tend to believe that people over think and worry about TEM too much. I certainly did, then I simplified it and I had no problem with it whatsoever. Here's my understanding of Threat and Error Management:

A threat can lead to an error, an error can lead to an undesired aircraft state, an undesired aircraft state can lead to CASA bangin' on your door asking "WTF?". It's all about Potential - cause - effect. The basis of it is pretty simple. Maybe I look at it too simply, but hey, it got me through the exam (and I used both Bob's and ATC's books, so there are no excuses there).

If you think about and are aware of any threats, then you can avoid them. If you aren't prepared and a threat presents itself and you don't respond appropriately then it can cause you to make an error. In that case, hopefully you know how to correct the error, but if not, you'll end up with your aeroplane doing something or going somewhere it's not supposed to. They then try to confuse you by defining types threats. Reminds me of a line from one of my favourite TV shows, The Boondocks - "There are known knowns and there are known unknowns. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"... wait, what?

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: The Poor Tradesman

The old saying - a poor tradesman always blames his tools.

Well Harrys I too have looked at all available sources of study, and without doubt Bob's are the best by a mile. ATC books were out of date and difficult to grasp - especially CIR. I have now passed my exams - with distinctions all with Bob's books.

Guess we all have our crosses to bare.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds