Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you have any suggestions on how we can improve this site or if you are having problems with any our products e.g. books, cyberexams or the website, please use this forum to let us know. Technical questions on subjects can be posted to the "Questions and Answers" section below.

CPL air law pass 90%!

• ggriffiths96
  • Topic Author

ggriffiths96 created the topic: CPL air law pass 90%!

Yay! re-sat my CPL air law exam and passed with 90% which i'm more than happy about :) Thanks to numerous Bob Tait exams I didnt come across anything I was unsure about!
However i did get this one question which i'm sure there's something wrong...

Q. Along a flight over unpopulous terrain, the highest obstacle is at 1500ft AMSL. What is the lowest altitude permitted for a VFR flight to overfly this obstacle?
a) 500ft
b) 2500ft
c) 2000ft
d) 3500ft

No it was not specified AGL or AMSL so after tossing up between (a) and (c) i selected a) 500ft simply because of CAR 157 "Low Flying" which also doesn't specify AMSL or AGL (even though we know its AGL).
(1) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not fly the aircraft over:
(a) any city, town or populous area at a height lower than 1,000 feet; or
(b) any other area at a height lower than 500 feet.

But i got this question wrong, so i guess the answer must be (c) 2000ft. I suppose because the question said AMSL we're supposed to assume the answer is in AMSL! Oh well :)

Thanks if anyone can clarify this for me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: CPL air law pass 90%!

Congratulations on an excellent pass! Well done. My 2cents on this question is since they asked you for an "altitude", that would be measured above sea level. As you said, the answer would be 2000ft (AMSL). If they had said at what "height" can you fly over the terrain, the datum I would assume is height above ground level and the answer would be 500ft (AGL).

Cheers,

Rich

• ggriffiths96
  • Topic Author

ggriffiths96 replied the topic: CPL air law pass 90%!

Oh okay, that makes sense now!
Thanks Rich for clearing that up

-Gen

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds