Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you have any suggestions on how we can improve this site or if you are having problems with any our products e.g. books, cyberexams or the website, please use this forum to let us know. Technical questions on subjects can be posted to the "Questions and Answers" section below.

landing charts

• boeing777mark
  • Topic Author

boeing777mark created the topic: landing charts

Hi Bob and Richard

Working through the ppl progress test section 2 on page 1.2.13 i have stumbled on question 5 were it mentions that the slope of the runway is 4% down to the NW. When i was going through the example of that question on page 1.2.16 it has mentioned that instead of going 4% down it actually mentions to go 4% up as you are landing to the SE. Guys can you tell me how i work that out because i am unsure how to get that answer from that stage, then the rest of the answer is quite simple to work out

Kind Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: landing charts

Morning!

OK, the first thing to take a look at is the wind: 150 o M at 10 kt. 10 kt is too much wind for us to accept as tailwind for landing since the max allowable tailwind on landing is 5 kt. That means we have to land on the most into-wind runway available.

Fortunately the runways available are 15/33. Runway identifiers are the runway heading given to the nearest 10's of degrees with the last "0" trimmed off. Runways 15/33 means if you are lined up on runway 15, your compass will read pretty close to 150oM and if you are lined up on the oppsite end (runway 33), your compass will read pretty close to 330oM.

The wind is blowing at 10kt from 150oM so we will have to use runway 15 because when we are aligned with runway 15, our nose is pointing straight into wind.

We now know we are going to be using runway 15 and we will have a 10kt headwind. However we are also told the runway slopes 4% down to the north west. A slope down to the north west is the same as a slope up to to the south east. 150oM is pretty much southeast so we must have a 4% up-slope for our landing.

Cheers,

Rich

• boeing777mark
  • Topic Author

boeing777mark replied the topic: Re: landing charts

Good Morning Rich

Thanks so much for your reply, just I seem to be getting lost when You say a slope to the north west is the same as a slope to the south east, so how do we know when you have to go up on the landing chart (%) or down, so when we get questions like that do we always have to choose the runway which will suit our takeoff needs. I am gonna keep reading through your previous reply to see if I can get it around my head while I wait for your reply...

Thanks so much rich for taking the time to help us all out on the forum...

Kind Regards
Mark

• Richard

Hi Mark,

A slope DOWN to the north west is the same as saying there's a slope UP to the south east.

When you are given a slope such as the one in this example they are simply telling you which end of the runway is lower. A 4% slope down to the north west means the north-western end of the runway is lower than the south eastern end. If you were taking off from the north western end towards the south east, you would be battling an uphill slope. If you were taking off from the south eastern end towards the north west, you would have a downhill slope.

Here's some more examples to help make it clearer:
RunwaySlopeComment
09/272% down to the westuphill to the east (runway 09), downhill to the west (runway 27)
18/362% down to the northuphill to the south (runway 18), downhill to the north (runway 26)
15/333% down to the southeastuphill to the northwest (runway 33), downhill to the southeast (runway 15)
05/234% down to the southwestuphill to the northeast (runway 05), downhill to the southwest (runway 23)

To help you get your head around it (and no, you're not the first to have troubles) draw a picture of the situation. Draw the runway with the approximate direction, draw an arrow representing the wind direction (remember, the wind direction given is the direction the wind is blowing FROM). Finally put in the slope. To do this, write "UP" at the uphill end and "DOWN" at the downhill end (or use your own words like "Higher" and "Lower" if you like).

So, for this example question, try sketching out something like this:

This sketch will help orient you and ensure you use the right values for the P-chart.

Cheers,

Rich
Attachments:

• boeing777mark
  • Topic Author

boeing777mark replied the topic: Re: landing charts

Hi Richard 

Thanks so much for all of your reply's and examples as the examples have helped me a lot, and I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that has had trouble with these kind of questions...

Well I will have a crack at working on these examples and let you know if I get into any trouble

Thanks again

Kind Regards
Mark

• Richard

No worries Mark. That's what we're here for B)

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds