Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL AGK question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook created the topic: Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

Er should I say, Exam Type Questions.

A couple of weeks ago I was sure I was going to get 100% on the AGK test that everyone seems to struggle with. You see I was different, and after taking the course at WA Aviation College with a really cool experienced LAME and CPL, reading the BT book in detail about 5 times and taking 40 pages of notes in four coloured pen (would have helped if could read my own writing) - I came up with a lousy 88% in the real deal.

I'll be honest, at one stage, I was thinking, please God just let me pass! Now that was scary for a guy who had spent so much time in preparing. I figured if I knew it like I could teach it that should do.

So let me give you a couple of mind blowing scenarios:
1) OK so you know your fire detection systems stuff right, but then which system would you use on an "exhaust manifold heater"? Well I reviewed the BT and my WA Aviation College notes and neither had ANY mention of which one to use that I could find.
I chose a resistive type as opposed to Gas, Photoelectric or capacitive. Bugger I got that one wrong. Still none the wiser and when I took my KDRs into a friendly flight instructors office, neither was he (well at least it made me feel better).

2) Now correct me if I'm wrong but when we study spark plug fouling, two things jump out at you - low rpm and fully rich. Yeah well that's what I thought too.

So punk - what ARE you going to do when your only sensible options to explain your sudden fouling are to compromise yourself and select one of the following conditions instead for fouling, such as 1) increasing altitude without adjusting mixture (plausible but unlikely since I am guessing most aircraft are at at least above idle as they lift their weight skywards) or 2) do you think its possible that you forgot to turn off your carb heat, leaving it on for a prolonged period, before switching it off? (well I guess that would richen the mixture, but fouling? Well OK if you are on a long decent at idle and the carb heat was on for a long time perhaps, but now I'm inventing scenarios as well....

Needless to say the friendly instructor with the KDR was as confused as I was. No instructors were hurt in making this post (nor will they be identified, I only pick random instructors less they get castrated by the Federation)

Other subjects it helps to know are:

leakages in the wastegate department, downstream, upstream and sidestream (ok just kidding on the last one) (maybe the turbo needs a colostomy bag as a backup :-)

And it wouldn't hurt to know about the effects of static vent blockages, particularly on descents and ascents if the pitot was blocked. Yes I guess I did know after all which is why I kicked myself after getting it wrong.

Or how the heck you get to critical altitude with a fixed wastegate whilst maintaining maximum manifold pressure, I mean do you reduce rpm, increase throttle, or just upgrade to a better aircraft?

I feel better now, but no I'm not going to push for curriculum changes or question changes as that would make me an educator, and beside Bob and Richard are much better at it than I am and much funnier.

I can't wait to see the Performance online course. It should be fun. Now I am really enjoying NAV, it is so much fun and now (at last) I see why they have us do that year 12 maths, now that I know there are only 360 deg in a circle....(but I like it its very practical) Doesn't a metric circle have 1000 deg? Don't go there...

But I sure did like Bobs point on carb icing and practising engine failures with carbs relating to students and instructor shuffling off this mortal coil with a bent aircraft, sneaky sneaky carb ice that may be too thick to remove, I'd go EFI for that section of my training, beats having to cash in the life insurance policy early.

My head hurts, can I go and fly now :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Re: Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

I did the AGK expecting a high pass, and ended up with 78%... but heck... it is a PASS so I dont really care. I find it difficult to concentrate in the exam condition, and hate the way they use ambiguous questions. personally I don't think the CASA system is the best way to test our knowledge, but hey, who am I to argue!

• James B

James B replied the topic: Re: Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

Yeah I sudied my head off too and got my lowest mark out of 4 exams 87% so you beat me! Only consolation is we did our best due diligence on the material we could!Good luck

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook replied the topic: Re: Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

Good onya Bungee. Maybe I'm just too much of a perfectionist. But I really learnt the material and found it interesing. I know what you mean about concentrating, I found a couple of tricks to help me relax (like St Johns Wort) helps.

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook replied the topic: Re: Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

Thanks James,

Appreciate that. So I was not going insane then ;-)

Brook

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: AGK Questions :-)

Hi Brook. Now you haveme worried. I left AGK till last thinking that I'd leave the easiest (AGK and HPL) until I'd finished the HARD ones like Met, Perf, Aero, Law, IREX and Nav. OMG what have I done? From what I am seeing on these forums these two are probably even more ambiguous. But on the up side if you can pass these CASA exams even at 70% that tells me we know more than they do so I guess not all bad hey?

Unfortunately I have had personal experience trying to take on the beurocracy when, like you I beleived I should have got over 90% in my IREX and got less than 80%. Even got so far as the man who runs the section setting these exams. Guess what, they know more than we do and they beleive their exam questions are not ambiguous - guess they must be right hey even though everyone who sits them disagrees. Must be great to live in the ivory tower.

I am about to sit Met, now studying Nav (should be OK with that having passed IREX) and then on to the last two. Your posts are great so please keep it up. These tips certainly help.

All the best with your Nav.

PS: The conversin of LMT to GMT and EST is fun.... Well it is if you are a mathematician. I find it easier to just look at BOD and EOD on NAIPS :sick:

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook replied the topic: Re: AGK Questions :-)

Hi Brenton,

It's overated but probably just an exam quality issue.

If you pay special attention to the areas I mention and know it well you should do alright, but just relax and get lots of sleep before you do this one.

Good on you for doing all the others, you are way ahead of me :-)

Brook.

• Michael

Michael replied the topic: Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

I realise that this post is over 3 years old, but the question regarding exhaust manifold heater detector is still in circulation. The correct answer is gas, as in a carbon monoxide detector. Photo-electric detectors are cabin smoke detectors; and resistive and capacitive detectors are both used for engine fire detection.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

Good tip - thanks for taking the time to post, Michael!

Cheers,

Rich

• deanosky

deanosky replied the topic: Brooks Exam Mind Blowing AGK Questions :-)

I had problems with that subject. Thanks for clearing it up. It ois important to pay attention to this topic. Ii have now read that a gas type sshould be used.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds