Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Correction for the PPL book

• Andrewnielsen@me.com
  • Topic Author

Andrewnielsen@me.com created the topic: Correction for the PPL book

In the second chapter, the book says that if you pull back on the controls, the nose goes up. That is only the whole truth if lots of things are true. For example, if you are banked to the right, the nose will go up AND you will turn right WITHOUT yaw. If you have been caught in wake turbulence, and you are upside down, the nose will go down and 3, 2, 1, you will die.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Correction for the PPL book

All of the text on that page in the book relates to the accompanying diagrams which clearly show the aircraft in a level attitude to begin with.

• Andrewnielsen@me.com
  • Topic Author

Andrewnielsen@me.com replied the topic: Correction for the PPL book

Hi. Thank you for answering my post. Naturally, I don't expect you to agree with me!

My point remains important because of the following. While the picture shows the airplane straight and level, the text does not indicate that if the wings were not level, then the text would apply. People learn things but they never really unlearn them - they can forget them, and they can learn additional things, but they never unlearn them. That means that people should, right from the start, learn that if you pull back on the controls, the nose will go towards where the top of the windscreen is, unless you are stalled or about to stall. That way, if they find themselves upside down, they have more chance of not diving into the ground. Also, pulling back on the controls, in the vain hope of the nose going up, and staying up, is a leading cause of fatal accidents. You know better than I do, someone overshoots the base leg, does a nonstandard, extra-tight turn, pulls back on the control column... and... the... nose... goes... down.

• Andrewnielsen@me.com
  • Topic Author

Also, when I was first thinking about this, I thought that pitch was another secondary effect of ailerons. I only realised later that the nose going down could occur without pitch. In other words, I wrongly thought that because weathercocking lowered the nose that it caused the aircraft to pitch down. I only realised later that that was wrong. Why is that relevant? Well, the only way that the text mentions to lower the nose is through the elevators. If the plane is banked, you can raise or lower the nose with the rudder, without pitch being involved.

• Andrewnielsen@me.com
  • Topic Author

* ... if the wings were not leve, then the text would NOT apply.

• stuart

stuart replied the topic: Correction for the PPL book

When you lower or raise the nose with rudder with the plane banked you are yawing

• stuart

Please site the statisitics where that is the leading cause of fatal accidents

• Andrewnielsen@me.com
  • Topic Author

I said "a" leading cause, not "the" leading cause. I thought that stalling close to the ground , particularly turning on base or final, was up there with flight into IMC and engines stopping, but I might be wrong. You are right about the yaw. Thanks for the replies! If have read 6% of the PPL book so far. It really is excellent, in spite of me picking holes at it, BTW. The website with the forum and the electronic delivery of the book is great also. There might be just the same info as in the old days, but being able to read on the phone, and having access to a forum makes a HUGE difference.

• stuart

Glad your enjoying it

Best of luck with your studies

• Andrewnielsen@me.com
  • Topic Author

Flying magazine has back issues in the ap store for free. If you look up page 25 of Ddcember 2009, there is an article about this. The article does quote a commercial training school, who would be talking themselves up, but it is interesting.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds