Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Back After A Long Absence

• alantheflyer
  • Topic Author

alantheflyer created the topic: Back After A Long Absence

Greetings to all

With a PPL and about 250 hours, am endeavouring to return to GA after a break of almost 25 years. Here's looking forward to rejoining the community and finding some good advice and support as well as new friends along the way. Regards to all. Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Back After A Long Absence

Welcome Alan,

It's good to hear that you have decided to come back to flying. Let us know how you go. Should be just some revision and a BFR and you're away. What have you been flying? Why don't you send some pics?

Cheers.

• alantheflyer
  • Topic Author

alantheflyer replied the topic: Back After A Long Absence

Thank you, Bob, and appreciate your response. I also left a question in the "General Enquiries" regarding the best direction to take and which licence to pursue...

Have spent most time on C172 and V35 with other bits and pieces elsewhere.

Looking forward to getting off the ground again..

Cheers

• alantheflyer
  • Topic Author

As far as study goes - would I need to subscribe to both Vol I & Vol II of the PPL Study Guides? Many thanks, Bob

Alan

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Back After A Long Absence

If your intention is to sit for the CASA exam for either RPL or PPL you will need to study both volumes. Volume One covers what was once called BAK (basic aeronautical knowledge). That is the content you need for RPL. Volume Two covers the Meteorology, Navigation, Performance and Law you need to get a full PPL. The PPL exam will field questions on both.

Good luck.

Bob

• alantheflyer
  • Topic Author

Thank you Bob. I will subscribe to both.

• alantheflyer
  • Topic Author

Apologies for absence from the Forum. An update...

After stumbling through my Class II medical I got on to the great guys at Latrobe Valley Aero Club. Their teaching was outstanding (as well as their patience - thanks Gerard, Scott & Campbell) as they scraped off the rust scales and got me back into the air with a fresh BFR in July of last year, almost 30 years to the day that I had last flown. I now live in Florida, so, armed with my newly, brushed off PPL, I applied for a US Private Licence and was duly issued with same but still had to do another BFR. Despite confronting a glass cockpit for the very first time and trying to absorb the dauntingly thick Federal Aviation Regulations and Aeronautical Information Manual, I came away with the required BFR to be pronounced technically "legal" again in November of last year. Since then, I have purchased a sweet little Grumman AA-1C Lynx which is perfect for my day-VFR mission. The flying here is awesome with severe VFR conditions most every day and The Bahamas just 50 miles off the coast. It's great to be back in the air once again. It never is too late...

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Back After A Long Absence

Congratulations Alan

That a great looking little Grumman, and such a lovely part of the world to fly around, enjoy your new found freedom..

Cheers
Stuart

• alantheflyer
  • Topic Author

Thank you, Stuart. It was worth every effort to get back in the cockpit again. Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds