Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Descent when cleared Visual Approach

• Palmer
  • Topic Author

Palmer created the topic: Descent when cleared Visual Approach

Hi guys, long time stalker, 1st time poster so here goes...

After being cleared a visual approach I often hear crews reading back to ATC "..cleared visual approach, leaving 3000' (callsign)"

I question whether the "leaving 3000".. (or whatever height) is actually required. I've been told that this is iaw ENR 1.7 para 4.1.6 (a) , which states "The pilot receiving an instruction from ATC to change level, must report when the acft has left a level at which level flight has been conducted in the course of climb, cruise or descent."
...but I question that as well, as this is not an instruction to change level, nor is it in the course of a climb, cruise or descent, it's for an approach. When the same crews are cleared for the ILS or RNAV approach, I pointed out to them that they just read back "cleared xx approach" and don't report when they've commenced descent on interception of the glide slope or descent point.

Can anyone help me with a definitive on this?
Many thanks.

Dion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds