Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

First Air law attempt

• Glenny
  • Topic Author

Glenny created the topic: First Air law attempt

I did my air law today and was gutted to get a 75% (failed by 2 questions). I reckon it was more of me getting done by CASA than being ill prepared.

I had a flight and duty time limit. If my tour of duty(appendix V) was from 1600-0100, how many times could I do this tour of duty without an increase from rest? I think it should be 4 because appendix 5 1.3 states that in any 168 hours, an FCM must not be assigned or conduct more than 4FDP which includes any time between midnight and 0459 local time. The other question was under the old CAO 48.0. Operating an aircraft less than 5700 kg VFR charter, the first FDP was 11hr 30 mins, second day was a rest the third day would last 11hr 45 mins. When is the next available day we can begin? day 4, 5 or 6? I picked day 5 because the operator shall not roster a pilot 2 consecutive tours of duty each of which is in excess of 11 hr unless a rest period of at least 23 hours is provided at the conclusion of the first TOD.

Circuit procedures. You are going to join a non controlled aerodrome from the live side. Right turn permitting, do you;
a) join beginning of downwind, end of cross wind
b) cut 45degrees and join middle of the runway
c) cut 45 degrees and cut abeam threshold of the beginning of the runway (abeam piano keys)

Required aircraft equipment.
Flying a VFR charter where an aircraft is less than 5700 KG. We have 2 VHF and 1 ELT. Would we require a HF radio?
a) No because we have an ELT
b) No because we can use the VHF when we are X nm away
c) cant remember

or
We have a CFR charter overwater, and we have an unservicable ELT. we can fly if
a) we have a permitted portable ELT
b) it is within 90 days
c) cant remember

Damage and defect report.
During landing, you have experienced severe turbulence that you believe is over the aircraft's structural limitation. There is a charter flight schedules for tomorrow. Do you
a) make a RRM
b) write it on the maint release
c) write it on the maint release and deem it unairworthy
d) inform the chief and deem the aircraft unairworthy.
I chose A which puzzled me that I got a KDR on it.

Classification of operations.
You are employed in a mining company and have a pilot licence. You fly the company aircraft which seats 6. You transport the employees from one mine to another as well as help move equipment. The company intends to advertise in the newspaper to fill up extra seats to earn extra money. You fly this flight in a regular schedule.
Is this
A) Chartered
B) Aerial work
C) Private
D) RPT

Fuel system inspection
To check for contamination in the fuel.
We would
A) Check for colour
B) Volatility check
C) Use water testing chemicals
I picked A so I am thinking it has to be C? Because there is no way that it would be B.

Smoking in an aircraft.
On a chartered, the pilot shall inform the passengers that smoking is not allowed at all times by
A) Giving them a card about all the times smoking is not permitted
B) Orally telling them
C) With a sign saying smoking is not allowed and orally briefing the passengers
I picked C.

Day VFR
On a day where cloud base is 1000ft, vis 5000m and we are departing on a class C aerodrome can we fly?
A) Yes, if we obtain a special VFR
B) Yes, if we get a visibility of not less than 5km
C) No, we cant fly under these circumstances

Maintenance by Pilots
A pilot can maintain his aircraft if
A) he has undertaken a course in the last 2 years
B) Only in the presence of a LAME
C) Only with aircraft company
I picked A.

Operations at non-controlled aerodromes.
Departing a non controlled aerodrome with the runway 1000m, the aircraft taking off is above 2000kg and your aircraft is below 2000kg. When is the earliest you can take off?
A) 1800m from the runway
B)500m from your take off point
C) 600m from your take off point
D) When he has crossed the upwind leg

Would really appreciate the help guys. Feeling absolutely gutted as I didnt feel like I did poorly at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds